Pierogi Recipe

My mom is obsessed with keeping a stocked freezer, but I guess I don’t really take after her, because my freezer tends to be relatively empty, aside from random containers of stock/ramen broth, frozen dumplings and pierogi. I admit, I store buy frozen chinese dumplings and pierogi for those times that I just don’t feel like cooking. I tell myself it’s because of ease and convenience, but really, I just love the taste of frozen pockets filled with deliciousness.

Pierogi are fast, tasty, and ideal for when I let myself get too hungry and become a crazy unthinking monster. (This happens more often than you would believe). I’ve always been a frozen pierogi buyer, but now I think I’m going to have to go homemade forever.

It’s Oktoberfest right now and that means two things: beer and sausages. I don’t partake in the beer much (Mike drinks up my share), but I do love sausages. Sausages and pierogi are just one of those pairings that I find perfect, especially when the weather turns a bit chilly.

I found an old Gourmet magazine pierogi recipe on epicurious.com and for my first pierogi making experience, it was great. The dough was a dream to work with and for an extra treat, I fried up pierogi in some butter to crisp up the skin. They kind of ended up looking like some sort of Asian dumpling-guess I just can’t get that out of me-but they were all pierogi potato deliciousness.

I couldn’t resist putting my own twist on the pierogi though: instead of filling all the pierogi with a potato cheddar cheese filling, I mixed up potatoes with green onion oil. The result was insanely good. The green onion oil made the potato filling rich and umami filled.

The green onion pierogi were so good that it was a little like playing the odds while we were eating-all the pierogi looked the same, but biting into one of the green onion ones was a little like winning the lottery.

Pierogi Recipe adapted from Gourmet Magazine April 2004 as found on epicurious.com

yield: 48-50 pierogi

For dough
3 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for kneading
1 cup water
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt

For potato filling
1 1/2 pound russet potatoes
6 ounces coarsely grated Cheddar or 4 tablespoons green onion oil*
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Special equipment: a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter

Make dough:
Put flour in a large shallow bowl and make a well in centre. Add water, egg, oil, and salt to well and carefully beat together with a fork without incorporating flour. Continue stirring with a wooden spoon, gradually incorporating flour, until a soft dough forms. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead, dusting with flour as needed to keep dough from sticking, until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes (dough will be very soft). Invert a bowl over dough and let stand at room temperature 1 hour.

Make filling while dough stands:
Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces. Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain potatoes, then equally divide in two bowls. In one bowl add the cheese, salt, and pepper, in the other bowl, add the green onion oil. Mash the potatoes until smooth and mix thoroughly.
When mashed potatoes are cool enough to handle, use a small cookie scoop to scoop out the filling. Cover and keep the filling in the fridge until you are ready to fill your pierogi.

Form and cook pierogie:
Halve dough and roll out 1 half (keep remaining half under inverted bowl) on lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 15-inch round (1/8 inch thick), then cut out 24 rounds with lightly floured cutter. Holding 1 round in palm of your hand, put 1 potato ball in centre of round and close your hand to fold round in half, enclosing filling. Pinch edges together to seal completely.

Bring a 6- to 8-quart pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pierogi, stirring once or twice to keep them from sticking together, and cook 5 minutes from time pierogi float to surface. Drain and pan fry in butter or oil over medium heat until crisp.

1. They do look like pot stickers!
    Pierogi are great. I even like the sauerkraut filling. Fortunately I come from a city with an old German/Polish core, so I can get home made ones. People have great variations of dumplings all over the world.

2. Nice. My mother-in-law is Polish and they(her and pops) make pierogis quite a bit-I love ‘em, and I believe it’s time for me to make ‘em! And the sausage on the side-killer!

3. Would I be playing with fire if I tried to put both cheese and green onion oil in all of the pierogis, instead of making two flavours?

I think that would actually be a fabulous combination!

steph on October 15th, 2010 at 7:34 am
  4. Would you freeze them before or after you boil them?

Freeze them before boiling. Just lay them all out in a single layer, not touching, freeze them and then pop the pierogi into a ziplock.

steph on October 15th, 2010 at 7:35 am
  5. These sound dangerous! My mind is thinking of all sorts of fun fillings! :) Great photos, makes my mouth water just scrolling through them!

6. Hi! When making dough, add 1 full spoon of sour cream (and less liquid)and mix half water and half milk and boiled it before putting into flour. I always use a few more egg yolks. The dough has to be worked well and left covered for at least 1 hour in room temp. The original recipe for pierogi :mashed potatoes + salt + pepper + fried onion (a lot) and white farmer cheese. But when you freeze them make with NO onion inside; just fry pierogi with butter , serve with also fried onion and sour cream.

7. why no new posts?

cause this post was linked in a serious eats segment and shes proud?

J Ro on October 20th, 2010 at 10:09 am
  8. Thanks for this recipe! I made a bunch and they were yummy.

9. Whens your next article coming up cooking mama?

10. OMG! Pierogis and sausage!

I like your recipe.Here in Poland we usually add cottage cheese and onions to the potato filling;) Have you tried cabbage and mushroom filling? Delicious. If you like, I can send you the recipe;)

I would actually love the recepi for a cabbage and mushroom filling!!

Shela on February 2nd, 2012 at 1:04 pm
  11. ditto@van
    anxiously awaiting your next blog post! :D

12. This looks so yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!

XOXO,

13. making about 60 tonight for Thanksgiving dinner at my brother’s house. equal amounts of potato & bacon, polish sausage & mushroom, and ground beef & onion. God the apt smells DELICIOUS right now!

14. YUM! My best friend is Ukranian, and I swear, she makes the best pirogies… but I look forward to trying this recipe out.

And you’re right. Sausages + potatoes = bliss

15. This only thing I miss about Edmonton is….

16. I grew up eating perogies & sausage and yours look really tasty. I hope you are having a terrific new year Steph!

17. *poke poke* Where did you go?? (Julie from Peek & Eat)

18. Miss your blog posts, come back soon!

19. My fave food as made by my Ukrainian grandmother. Dough recipe is similar to yours but our stuffing is super lean burger with tiny-mice onion. The circles are ideally 1 7/8 inch, with a small ball of filling. We glue them up in half-moon shape and then pinch the ends together so they look like a little hat. We serve them with diced up and sauteed till crisp cubes of fatback or salo (only the white part), plain white vinegar to taste and some pepper. First we eat them right out of the boiling water, the next day we brown them in a skillet.

20. This is a great post and a great recipe … making it right now! Almost done actually … just in time for good luck food for a Steeler win!
    Thanks for sharing and keep up the great writing!
    Lo.

21. The answer to this is probably insanely simple, but I’ll ask anyway. How do you make green onion oil??

22. you chop some green onions and then sweat it in some oil.

Thank you!!

Ravi on February 27th, 2011 at 10:55 pm
  23. Just stepped by your delicious blog to say hi and I absolutely love all these divine-looking photos!

24. This looks amazing; not sure I am the patience or skills to try it in my own kitchen, but I really enjoyed the post and am looking forward to having a proper look around your site.

25. Amazing! These were so delicious, and so easy to make. The only thing I had an issue with, and it’s more of a nonissue, is the filling. It made SO much and I’ll have to make at least two more batches of dough in order to fill it. I suggest cutting it down if you only want to do the one. But I’m really not complaining, I’ll happily live off pierogies the rest of the week.

26. Are you no longer keeping up on your blog??

27. Thanks for the recipe! Very interesting how you substitute cheddar cheese with green onion oil, which makes the dish brighter and lighter. I haven’t tried out this recipe yet but I suspect the flavor profile would be similar to the Chinese onion pancakes except more fluffy and starchy.

Other than using green onion oil, would you recommend a stronger infused oil such as using garlic and chili pepper?

28. awesome recipe!
    i wish you still had this blog! :( i like it a lot!

29. najsmaczniejsze z kwasna smieta…. most delicious sour cream

30. I wish you would start blogging again! Miss reading your posts every so often.

31. wonderful. I am ucrainian myself and your dogh was a find – mine
    used to come out tough, but now, improved by your recipe and the
    sausage by side is a loverlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    idea.

oljana tseluiko on July 30, 2011 at 3:04 pm
  32. Try adding 16oz of sour cream to the dough recipe. Unbelievable flavor

33. I am half Polish and one of the only Polish foods my mom ever knew how to make where Pierogi…..but now that I look back, I am pretty sure she never made them from scratch, just frozen store bought! Seeing the recipe from scratch here looks like loads of hard work and most likely will come out with the best of the best pierogi possible! Ill send it to mom and see if she can follow along. Thanks!

34. its been a year. :( i miss your posts :(

35. i made these last night and they were delicious! BUT the were a nightmare…..the potatoes took forever to cook, the dough became very springy and not so easy to roll out….i maybe only made about 1/4 of the recipe because i just gave up…next time i wouldnt try to make something like this unless i have a food processor, a stand mixer and a pasta machine :P

i just came across this blog the other day, and i have to say i LOVE it. Its really sad that it’s been left fallow for a year :’(

36. I made these tonight for a dinner party– but I definitely cheated and used dehydrated ‘taters because I was NOT going to have time to peel, cook, and rice “real” potatoes. I used one pouch of 365 Garlic Potato flakes (4 servings) and one cup of 365 regular flakes (4 servings) from Whole Foods, mixed together and prepared according to their individual directions as per H20 minus the butter and using about 1 total cup milk… I was cooking for 6 & knew that all parties were big pierogi eaters. I used about 2 tbsp of green onion oil for half the filling and some ricotta and just under 6oz cheddar for the other half. Kosher salt & coarse ground pepper rounded it out.

The dough was amazingly easy to work with– amounts were right on, I did need a good bit of extra flour for kneading on my countertops, and you really do need to knead about ~8 mins for it to become smooth and elastic– when I cut the dough ball in half after an hour of proofing I knew we were in for a treat. I didn’t use ( or need) a stand mixer at all– just a fork. I made them slightly larger than called for above so I could use a ravioli press.

If I were to use potato flakes again I’d add a little bit of a binder to the garlic oil potato filling– it was very slightly runny after cooking and made for messy eating!! The cheese ones were perfect.

37. oh yum! can’t wait to try these out!

38. YUUUUUM
    especially im sitting in the office,starving
    the potato stuffings look cute
    like ice cream

39. Delicious! Made them tonight for my husband and 13 month old and they turned out better than I had expected. Also for a Gourmet recipe it was surprising easy and quick to make.

40. That sounds really delicious, I like the freezing idea for other time too :)

41. Oh wow. I love pierogies! I like to go to a local Eastern European restaurant that has horseradish and havarti pierogies that will take your breath away and make you swoon.

42. Looks really simple to make, but, also, really delicious!

43. My best friend is Ukranian, and I swear, she makes the best pirogies… but I look forward to trying this recipe out.

44. Americanized version, get real recipe !!!

45. I made this for my family last night. We loved it! It was quick and easy to put together and absolutely delicious! Thank you for a recipe that is a keeper for sure!

46. Wow, homemade Pierogi are a lot of work! But they look delicious!!!! My stomach is seriously grumbling after looking at those photos!

47. I’m wondering where English speaking people take this from, I mean the food they call Russian but you can never see in Russia. Pirogie is the plural form of pirog that is just a pie and it looks like a pie. What we see in the recipe above is Ukranian dumblings called vareniki (vah-reh-nee-kee) which are usually boiled. In Russia, there are also pirozhki (plural of pirozhok) made from dough like in this recipe and stuffed with minced meat, liver, fish, mushrooms, green onions and boiled eggs and even rice. Pirozhki do not look like dumplings and they can be fried or baked in oven.
    Well known Borsch is also has nothing to do with Russia simply because it’s a Ukranian soup.
    Similar stereotypical “Russian” thing in English speaking countries is babushkas that in Russia is called quite a different way as matryoshka. Babushka means grandmother in Russian and has nothing to do with the wooden doll.

Dear Ivan
    perhaps you should do your research a little more thoroughly. While Ukrainians do make lovely potato dumplings, whatever you call them, the word pierogi is from the Polish. Those of us from other nations also make lovely potato dumplings, and even have words that sound similar to other languages. (Common roots and all that, you know) Perhaps the important issue is not where it is from or what it is called, but that a passion for food is universal and that we are lucky to have this opportunity to share our cultures and our ideas with others.
    I once went to a tiny little pierogi restaurant in Vancouver BC where they served pierogi with all kinds of fillings: salmon and dill, or blueberries; my favorite pierogi type dumpling were from a Buddhist restaurant which doesn’t exist anymore that made the slippery little dumplings filled with shredded veggies and cabbage and dipped into Ume vinegar. Divine!

Lia on April 18th, 2012 at 6:37 pm
  48. My mom also loves having a full freezer. She has two, and they are both full to the brim. Like, you open it up and out comes frozen peas, corn…It’s like those nightmare closets full of clothes.
    But oh my work, does this look like heaven. I could stock three whole freezers with these ;)

49. This looks great, have been searching for different recipes and different things to try and this isn’t one I’ve heard of before so looking forward to giving it a try.

50. Is the dough to this similar to pie crust?