Mentaiko Kimchi Udon Recipe

Mentaiko kimchi udon is one of my noodle obsessions. If I see it on a menu-which is rare-it’s a must order. Chewy, toothsome noodles tossed with creamy mentaiko and crunchy spicy-sour kimchi is true noodle heaven. My obsession got to the point that I would be going to a particular restaurant weekly just so I could get my noodle fix. It couldn’t go on forever though, so it’s a good thing I figured out a way to make mentaiko kimchi udon at home.

The hardest part of making mentaiko kimchi udon is probably finding mentaiko. Mentaiko are spicy fish eggs. You can usually find them at a Japanese grocery store, either in the fresh or frozen fish section. Make sure you pick up frozen udon as well; frozen udon is is way better than the stuff you can buy in the vacuum-sealed packs.

Once you have all your ingredients, mentaiko kimchi udon is fast, easy and best of all, delicious. And even more exciting, my mentaiko kimchi udon recipe is going to be published in Foodista’s very first cookbook, The Foodista Best of Food Blogs Cookbook.

Here’s the recipe as well as a illustrated recipe card I made (click to download as a PDF). Give the noodles a try and tell me what you think!

click to download hi-res pdf

Mentaiko Kimchi Udon Recipe

1 sac of mentaiko
2 tablespoons of kimchi
2 bricks of frozen udon
2 tablespoons of melted butter
sliced green onions and nori for garnish

Remove the fish roe from the sac. Cut the sac open with a knife and use a spoon to scrape the eggs out.
Put a pot of water big enough for your two bricks of udon to boil on high heat. Cook the udon according to the cooking directions on the package.
Mix the mentaiko and butter together. Drain your udon and while it is hot, toss it with the mentaiko butter combination. Once the udon is coated, add the kimchi and toss well. Sprinkle with sliced green onions and nori. Enjoy hot!

1. Congrats on the cookbook recipe! I love kimchi with any noodles, whether they be udon or ramen or soba. Wonder if my local H Mart has mentaiko. This looks absolutely delish!

I think your H-Mart will totally have mentaiko; usually it’s in the freezer section.

steph on September 13th, 2010 at 12:29 am
  2. LOVE the index cards! and sounds yum!

Thanks, glad you like the index card.

steph on September 13th, 2010 at 12:31 am
  3. This looks delicious, and congratulations on having the recipe be part of the The Foodista Best of Food Blogs Cookbook!

Thanks! It’s kinda cool the recipe will be in a cookbook.

steph on September 13th, 2010 at 12:32 am
  4. hi i just wanted to leave a comment and let you know that kimchi is a famous korean food, not japanese. that fact aside, the food you made looks great!

I just wanted to let you know that no where does it say that kimchi is japanese and not korean. that fact aside, who really cares?

On another note…love the illustrations!!!

I’m glad you like the illustrations!

steph on September 19th, 2010 at 1:03 pm
    anon on September 16th, 2010 at 7:39 am
  5. whoa, this looks amazing!! too bad where I live there aren’t such good japanese groceries…
    Congrats on the participation!!

You can make the udon without the mentaiko. It won’t be exactly the same, but it’ll still be pretty tasty!

steph on September 13th, 2010 at 12:32 am
  6. Ooh, this does sound delicious. And congratulations on the Foodista book entry!

Thanks!

steph on September 13th, 2010 at 12:33 am
  7. Congrats! I like the illustrated recipe card, cute :). The kimchi udon looks really yummy.

Glad you like the recipe card!

steph on September 13th, 2010 at 12:33 am
  8. Your illustrations are freaking adorable. And congrats on the published recipe. Looks delish (:

So happy you like the illustrations!

steph on September 13th, 2010 at 12:34 am
  9. Congratulations on the cookbook entry!
    I have been reading your blog for a while now – especially to get inspired on what to make for dinner – but I am positively evangelical about your kimchi mentaiko udon recipe. Now that I’ve downloaded your pdf it’ll save me explaining it to friends!

Thanks!!

Yay, another mentiko udon lover! Thanks for downloading the PDF.

steph on September 13th, 2010 at 12:36 am
  10. Congras on the cookbook recipe!

Thanks Penny!

steph on September 13th, 2010 at 12:36 am
  11. what a great and original and easy recipe. sounds delicious–I am running out to get some udon and mentaiko now. thanks–and congrats on the cookbook. so great!

Thanks; tell me if you like the noodles!

steph on September 13th, 2010 at 12:37 am
  12. this looks sooo yummy. i’m going to go to the korean supermarket and buy everything.

Thanks! Hope you like it!

steph on September 19th, 2010 at 1:02 pm
    kimcheemonster on September 15, 2010 at 6:51 pm
  13. Omg that looks solicious ( So Delicious!!! =solicious). I will def make this form a dinner party

14. Next time you come to LA, try Spoon House, which is in the Gardena/Torrance area close to where the handmade soba/udon place is. They specialize in Japanese-style pastas … my favorite there is the uni, squid and seaweed combination.

15. I made with soba noodles. Yum

16. woah. i need to make this asap. yum!! love me some udon!

17. Hi, could you tell me which Japanese grocery store you go to for mentaiko? I really want to try this out so I can make it for my friend’s birthday :) Thank you!

18. Hi there.. i’m so disappointed. I went to buy all the ingredients to make this fabulous udon but couldn’t find Mentaiko from where i come from. SIGH SIGH SIGH.

Are there any other alternative options you can recommend? :s

19. Completely enjoyed the video!!! My granddaughter made me play it 3 times in a row as she danced. Amazing talent.

Brittny Mondello on July 26, 2012 at 5:30 am
  20. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I loved making it tonight. Amazing blog, btw! Very glad I found you.

21. Any Korean grocery store would carry mentaiko, except it’s called Myung-rahn Jut. It’s pretty expensive.