Ad Hoc at Home: Brownies

I love brownies. They’re soft, chocolately, dense and delicious. I haven’t had a lot of success with baking brownies because, I confess, I compare every brownie I’ve bake to those Two Bite Brownies that they sell at Costco. Am I the only one who finds them insanely delicious? I won’t go as far as to buy them myself (I do have some pride, after all), but I do get unreasonably excited when I go over to my mom’s house and I see that over-sized clear container filled with those tiny, cupcake-shaped, fudgey bites.

Between my refusal to buy Two Bite Brownies and my mediocre brownie making, we don’t get much brownie action around here. It’s dangerous baking a pan of brownies around here. The brownie depravation combined with Mike’s deep love for brownies means that a pan will disappear in minutes. Thankfully, we were invited over a friend’s place and instructed to bring dessert.

I flipped through Ad Hoc to find a suitable recipe and as always, the photo of the brownies called to me. The Keller brownie recipe is actually pretty easy going, both in execution and in ingredients.

Keller’s brownie recipe is unlike any other brownie recipe I’ve ever tried. Half the butter is melted, then poured over the remaining butter and stirred so you have creamy melted butter flecked with little small bits of unmelted butter. It seems like a extra unnecessary step, but these brownies were the best I’ve ever baked. That may be due to the fact that there are three (yes, three!) sticks of butter in these brownies.

You may think three sticks of butter is too much. Even I, a lover of butter, thought three sticks was a bit excessive, but seriously, after tasting the brownies, I didn’t remember the butter at all. Soft and fudgey, with chocolate chips throughout, these brownies are an indulgence that I’ll be making again and again – I’ll just have to make sure to make them when people are coming over so I don’t consume three sticks of butter on my own.

1. 3 sticks of butter? WOAH!!

Tell me about it!!!

steph on September 19th, 2010 at 1:12 pm
  2. I, too, LOVE those tiny brownie bites from Costco. I don’t know if their deliciousness lies in their size, shape, or ingredients, but dang are they ever good!

They are unnaturally good, aren’t they?

steph on September 19th, 2010 at 1:13 pm
  3. Nigella Lawson’s Triple Chocolate Brownies (recipe available on foodnetwork.com) uses 3 sticks of butter–plus 2 tablespoons–and six eggs. It’s actually surprising how little flour is in the recipe. They’re wonderful, but they are so filling that I only make them once a year, sometime between thanksgiving and new years. Seriously, if you eat one at lunchtime it’ll pretty much fill you up the rest of the day.

3 sticks of butter and 6 eggs?! I don’t know if I could handle it!!!

also 12oz chocolate and a 1/2c chocolate chips and a 1/2c white chocolate chips (which I never use, I just use 1c chips). Heavy recipe, but quite good once in a while.

Darren on September 19th, 2010 at 2:11 pm
    steph on September 19th, 2010 at 1:13 pm
  4. Those pictures make me want to have a piece of brownie right now… Where do you get butter in that kind of packaging? I’ve never seen them in Vancouver supermarkets.

I buy butter from the States. Love the packaging and it’s actually a lot cheaper!

steph on September 19th, 2010 at 1:13 pm
  5. PD- I’ve seen blocks of butter divided into sticks and individually wrapped at Save-on-Foods. I hope you find them : )

Hmm, I should take a look at Save-on-Foods butter…

steph on September 19th, 2010 at 1:14 pm
  6. looks so good!

They were too good…so good I couldn’t stop eating them.

steph on September 19th, 2010 at 1:14 pm
  7. I love that cookbook!! I will take note to add those brownies to my list of things to make :) yum!!

Definitely give the brownies a try, you won’t be disappointed!

steph on September 19th, 2010 at 1:14 pm
  8. OMG! I want one stat! They look sooooo good!

I ate way too many of them, I should have sent some over!

steph on September 22nd, 2010 at 12:42 am
  9. I just used a butter converter since I never remember how many grams are in a stick (I’m just so metric). Oh. Oh my. That is a truckload of butter. Brownie recipes have an amazing knack for providing me with surprises like that, like the time I started making brownies using a new recipe that called for 32 ounces of dark chocolate. I was like “Oh 30 ounces, what is that, like maybe 400g at most?”. Hmm, well, 400g = 14 ounces…

Hahaha, yes, 3 sticks of butter is too much to think about!

steph on September 22nd, 2010 at 12:44 am
  10. I have made these…and I love them. They are by far the best brownie recipe I’ve used. However…I actually think they’re better on the second day, or at least after they have sat for a substantial amount of time. They can be a bit greasy with all that butter when they’re still warm, but once the butter solidifies again they’re perfection. Not bad with vanilla ice cream either :)

11. Nice pics, went to make these last night and they are indeed “cake” to make.

Mine came out a bit dense in the middle (some brownie folks might love that, I like a little bit of cakey texture). Either way it is delicious. That healthy tsp of of salt really adds a decent depth to it.

I’m using Valrhona cocoa powder and that gives a super-dark color plus an intense chocolatey taste. Similar to the TKOs I made with them.

12. I’ve made these. They are scary-licious! Great photos!

13. I’m sorry, I made these today and I think they’re awful. My daughter was disappointed too. SO greasy, 3 sticks of butter is insane and Unnecessary. I should have gone with gut instinct and cut that in half. blech. Lest anyone suspect I screwed up, I went to culinary, was a chef my whole life and so followed his recipe to a Tee. I kept thinking THREE STICKS? 3/4 POUND? this can’t be right. Hoping I live through it, my stomach is already a bit gnarly, we are all belching butter, lol. never again.