Pork and Kimchi Dumpling Recipe

Growing up, there were always dumplings at home. We would eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Even now, if I head over to my parent’s place and take a look in the freezer, I can pretty much guarantee that there are at least two bags of frozen dumplings. My mom’s big on frozen dumplings, mostly because the convenience of store-bought frozen dumplings is too alluring to pass up.

That’s not to say that my mom doesn’t make dumplings, but when she does she makes the filling, but not the wrappers. Fresh dumpling wrappers are available at most Asian grocery stores. You can definitely make your own wrappers, but if you’re short on time and still want fresh, “home made” dumplings, store-bought fresh dumpling wrappers are perfect.

Dumplings are great because you can be as creative or as basic as you want. I kept it simple with a mix of ground pork and diced kimchi. The crispy dumpling skins, the juicy meat and the slight spice of the kimchi were fantastic.

Pork and Kimchi Dumpling Recipe

makes about 40 dumplings, depending on how big you make them

1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 cup kimchi, diced
salt and pepper to taste
store-bought fresh dumpling wrappers
bowl of water

oil for pan frying

Mix together the ground pork and diced kimchi. Make sure you’re not adding too much kimchi “juice,” you don’t want your meat mixture to be too loose.

Take a dumpling wrapper and place about a tablespoon of meat in the middle. Dip your finger into the bowl of water and wet the edges of the dumpling wrapper. You can just fold your wrapper together and press the edges shut or you can pleat it.

When pleating, you only pleat one side of the dumpling wrapper. Bring the edges of the dumpling wrapper together and pinch in the middle. Starting in the middle and working your way to edge, fold the dough over itself to create a pleat. Repeat pleating until you reach the edge, go back to the middle and pleat in the opposite direction so that all your pleats face the centre.

Heat up a generous amount of oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. When the oil is hot and shimmery, add the dumplings and pan fry on medium or medium low until brown and crispy. Turn and pan-fry on all three sides until all the dumpling sides are crisp. Make sure the filling is cooked by cutting open a dumpling.

Enjoy hot!

1. Wow, those look awesome!!! Definitely a must try!!!

Hope you get a chance to, they’re delicious!

steph on June 16th, 2010 at 11:51 am
  2. looks great as always. i do wonder if you use store bought kimchi of if you’re using chang’s recipe… i’ve had a friend or two who haven’t had much success with his kimchi recipe.

love the site, keep it up.

I use Chang’s recipe as it works for me. What problems have your friends run into?

i think they said it was too strong. might have just not had enough cabbage for their palate or something.

I was actually surprised that I liked Chang’s kimchi, and he does say it’s not that traditional, so maybe your friends are kimchi traditionalists?

steph on June 23rd, 2010 at 12:05 pm
    ben on June 16th, 2010 at 1:30 pm

very possible.

but, if you’re liking it, that’s enough for me to give it a whirl.

ben on June 23rd, 2010 at 12:06 pm
    steph on June 16th, 2010 at 11:52 am
  3. My mom came to visit a couple of weeks ago and she made a batch of fresh kimchee for my family, her first in years. She definitely hasn’t lost her touch. This is a great recipe to use some of that huge jar she made!

Yum, mom-made kimchi! I’m constantly surprised at how many ways I can incorporate kimchi!

steph on June 16th, 2010 at 11:54 am
  4. I love dumplings, but I don’t make them nearly often enough. My gosh these look so yummy and pretty!

Thanks! I hardly ever make dumplings too, but I should.

steph on June 16th, 2010 at 11:54 am
  5. I experimented with making my own dumplings a few weeks ago, but as a newbie, mine were not folded nearly as pretty as yours.

Dumplings don’t need to be pretty to be yummy!

steph on June 16th, 2010 at 11:55 am
  6. I think every Asian home has dumplings. Pan fried or in soups, the are great.

Dumplings are great, in all of their incarnations!

steph on June 16th, 2010 at 11:56 am
  7. how long do you have to panfry the dumplings for? im always slightly anxious about under cooked pork.

I’m always slightly anxious too! I pan-fried them on low to medium heat for about 5 minutes each side, so about 15 minutes total. I always cut open a dumpling to check.

steph on June 16th, 2010 at 11:58 am
  8. These dumplings look so good. The filling you used looks super simple to make, the ones I’ve seen before involved about ten ingredients and that has always put me off.

Hahaha, nothing is simpler than just pork and kimchi!

steph on June 16th, 2010 at 12:03 pm
  9. Claps hands in glee!! I LOVE this.

Thanks Penny! They were pretty yummy!

steph on June 16th, 2010 at 12:04 pm
  10. Mandoo is looks good!

BTW-Does warm kimchee freak you out too?

Heehee, I didn’t grow up eating kimchi, so warm kimchi doesn’t actually freak me out.

steph on June 16th, 2010 at 12:04 pm
  11. Could I use tofu instead of pork?

I definitely think you can use tofu! It might make for a wetter dumpling, which will be a little more difficult to wrap, but it’ll taste good. Maybe using a mix of different tofu firmness will work well.

just made these. I used firm tofu which I wrapped in a dish towel and pressed for a couple of hours. They weren’t mushy at all.

jimmy on February 13th, 2011 at 4:29 pm
    steph on June 16th, 2010 at 12:23 pm
  12. What a great way to enjoy some kimchi!

13. I sampled these at a Korean market that were sold frozen. They were pretty good, however, I would like to try to make them myself but not the kimchi part. Can someone recommend a brand of store bought kimchi that I can use in the dumplings. Thanks.

14. Just cam across this blog while surfing your site. I steam any variety of my pork dumplings and then fry them, following Ming Tsi (sp?)’s directions, ie. put a little water(about 1/3 way up the height of the dumpling) in the bottow of a not-stick pan with just a little oik in the bottom. Cover and let steam. the water evaporates and the dumplings begin to crisp up. Turn them to crisp on all sides. Never have to worry about the pork being underdonw

15. Hi,

I would like to know if you do It yourself the dumpling skin ?
    Do you have any recipes for?

Thank you.

16. Thanks for introducing me to the wonderful world of wonton wrappers – these were easy to make and delicious! Dipped these in a sauce I made of soy sauce, chili sauce, honey and rice vinegar.