Momofuku Shrimp Spring Roll Recipe

Note: I refer to “spring rolls” as salad rolls.

I’ve rolled (and eaten!) a lot of salad rolls in my life. There’s definitely a technique to it and the more you roll, the better you get. I love eating salad rolls, mostly because I find the do-it-yourselfness of it completely satisfying. You can customize your roll whatever way you want and really, even if you’re not a very good roller, it doesn’t matter because you’re the one who’s going to eat it!

When I found Chang’s recipe for Shrimp Spring Rolls on NYmag.com, I was pretty excited to see what kind of twist Chang put on the traditional roll, but as I read the recipe, I realized that his ingredients would be a little difficult to roll. Usually, when rolling up a salad roll you have a leafy vegetable in between the salad roll wrapper and the filling. The leaf holds everything together and because leaves are soft and pliable, they generally don’t break through the rice paper.

If you’re a salad rolling expert, you don’t need the leafy vegetable and after I broke three rice papers in a row, Mike had pity on me and showed me his superior Vietnamese salad rolling skills. I guess I just haven’t rolled enough salad rolls in my life. Must roll more!

Momofuku Shrimp Spring Rolls adapted from NYmag.com

Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1/2 cup cilantro, loosely packed, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup mint, loosely packed, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup basil, loosely packed, coarsely chopped

Vietnamese rice paper

PICKLED VEGETABLES: Heat the rice-wine vinegar with 1/2 cup water in a saucepan; add the sugar, mixing until it dissolves. Set aside to cool. Place the carrot into a small containers, cover with the pickling liquid, and set aside for several hours or overnight.

DIPPING SAUCE: Combine all ingredients in a bowl, add 1/4 cup water, and mix together well.

Chop the shrimp into 1/2-inch pieces or slice lengthwise with a knife; do not use a processor.

Heat the grapeseed oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp in batches, and cook for about 2 minutes, until the shrimp turns pink. Remove from the pan immediately (they will continue to cook). In a bowl, combine shrimp, soy sauce, scallions, black pepper, and sherry vinegar, mix well, and allow to marinate for 30 minutes. Add the herbs to the shrimp just before assembling the rolls.

Fill a large bowl with warm water, and soak one rice paper skin until pliable. On a flat work surface, carefully spread the moistened skin flat. At one end, put 2 tablespoons of shrimp, then cover it with pickled carrots. Fold the sides in, and roll as tightly as possible. Repeat with the remaining skins, stack the rolls on a large platter, and serve with the dipping sauce at room temperature. (These can be made 2 hours ahead and refrigerated.)

1. I’ve always made rolls with something leafy to hold it in too.

Your ingredients format makes it look like the shrimp and filling ingredients are part of the dipping sauce.

Using something leafy definitely makes it easier to roll!

Thanks, I’ve changed it! That’s what I get for not editing the text from NYmag.com!

steph on June 1st, 2010 at 10:58 am
  2. That looks incredibly tasty. Does the dipping sauce taste like a traditional Vietnamese sauce (nuoc mam, (sp)?), or with a twist?

The dipping sauce is kind of like a traditional fish sauce, but way way more fishy! The cilantro stems are a nice touch though.

steph on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:45 am
  3. Unless the plates were purely to build photographic interest, I still won’t be impressed until you or Mike can roll your rolls in-hand.

And yes, this will impress me because I shame my Vietnamese heritage by not being able to do it, either.

The plates were totally for photographic interest! If you look closely at the last photo in the second set of four, you’ll notice a blur; that’s me transferring the roll from my hand to the plate! We must have a salad rolling contest one day soon!

steph on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:47 am
  4. Looks good to me… seems like he uses a lot of sherry vinegar in his things.. which is rare cause you dont see too many people use it.
    Did the marinating part give it a good flavor or was it pretty mild?

Chang seems to love sherry vinegar and it took me forever to find a bottle because you’re right, it’s pretty rare, even to buy!

It was a good, but very mild flavour.

steph on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:51 am
  5. I’ve found that when I don’t have leafy green to hold things in, it helps to use a chopstick to press ingredients down after you’ve made the first fold, to help get a tight roll.
    Also, it’s much easier for me to only wet the rice paper in warm water, NOT until it’s soft. It’ll be stiff on the plate, but will soften after you’ve finished piling ingredients on. This way, the rice paper is stronger and less likely to break.

Those are Chang’s suggestions on how to roll rice paper up; I too only dip the paper in for mere seconds and let it soften up on the plate.

steph on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:56 am
  6. Wow, this looks amazing! I can’t wait to try this one. I’m actually itching to dash right out of the door to get me those ingredients, lol! (but of course, it just got to wait for now, lol). I love shrimps, I love experimenting on different recipes. But I got to say that this one is really new to me, I mean I’ve sauteed it, boiled it, grill it, and puree it but I didn’t think of making spring rolls! Anyway, thank you so much for sharing this one! This is really great!

Hope you get a chance to make them!

steph on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:57 am
  7. These look sooo good!! Can I have some now?

Sending you 20 virtual rolls and sauce to dip!

steph on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:57 am
  8. i am just wondering…can these be made a day ahead and refrigerated? would there be a best way to store them? my sister wants me to make these for a party she is having (35-40 people) and i’m hoping i can do them in advance. my mouth is watering just looking at the pictures!

9. do you have a carb count for this recipe?
    I am on a low carb diet and am looking for spring roll recipes that fit.
    Thanks

10. Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve visited your blog before but after browsing through many of the posts I realized it’s new to me.

Anyhow, I’m definitely pleased I stumbled upon it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back often!