Tamago-Yaki Recipe

My favourite sushi restaurant makes a fantastic tamago-yaki. While we sit at the sushi bar and watch the chefs making sushi, I always eye the big golden yellow block of tamago. Their tamago is perfect: solid, yet still layered, with no burnt parts. Mike likes to judge sushi restaurants by their saba/mackerel sushi, but I use tamago as my benchmark.

Tamago is a little tricky to make at home because you want the layers of egg to adhere to each other, but you don’t want any browning because the pieces of sliced tamago should be a uniform yellow colour. I have a cheap tamago pan that I bought at a Korean grocery store, but I’ve seen people make tamago without a rectangle pan, so I know it’s possible.

Tamago Recipe

3 eggs
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon light soy sauce

Crack your eggs and lightly mix them. You don’t want to incorporate air into them so the best way is to use chopsticks: stir them gently without whipping, but make sure that the eggs and yolks are completely homogeneous. Add the mirin, sugar and soy and gently mix in.

Use a paper towel to evenly spread a bit of oil in your pan. Heat it on medium low heat, then add the eggs so they cover the bottom of the pan.

After 2-3 minutes, the egg will start to cook and solidify. The eggs don’t need to be entirely cooked, in fact, they should be a tiny bit moist on top so that the egg sticks to itself. Using chopsticks or a spatula, fold the egg over onto itself twice, like how you would fold a letter into thirds. Don’t flip the eggs, just push them to the end of the pan.

Use your oily paper towel to spread a tiny bit more oil in the pan and add a bit more of the eggs. Lift up the log of already cooked eggs so that the raw eggs are touching them. When the new layer of egg is almost cooked, fold the eggs over onto themselves again. Repeat until all the eggs are used.

Wrap in saran wrap and using a sushi mat, press the tamago into a rectangle shape. Let cool completely, slice and enjoy!

1. what a cool technique! I never in a million years would have guessed how that was done.

I never knew either, but after watching many youtube videos, and a lot of practice, I kind of have the technique down.

steph on May 31st, 2010 at 10:04 am
  2. Goldeny goodness!

Golden tamago yaki always make me smile!

steph on May 31st, 2010 at 10:04 am
  3. I remember having this as a kid for the first time.. i was like 11 or 12… first Japanese friends Mother made this for me after i slept over. It was very good… brings back memories.

Food memories are the best memories there are!

steph on May 31st, 2010 at 10:04 am
  4. What’s your favourite sushi restaurant, Steph? i LOVE sushi!

Heehee, I have to tell you in person Jeanie, it’s a secret!

steph on May 31st, 2010 at 10:04 am
  5. Nice! Never attempted to make it at home before but I love ordering it when I’m at a Jap restaurant….love how its sweet and juicy! (altho occasionally you get the plastic-y dry ones..eek).

Agreed, only the sweet and juicy tamago are worth it!

steph on May 31st, 2010 at 10:05 am
  6. I tried the recipe and it was delicious! After tasting it at a restaurant in Riga, I’ve been wanting to make it myself. Thanks for showing me how :) It wasn’t too hard :D

7. I’ve got to keep trying! Hasn’t really worked properly for me so far :(

8. my turn to try out im scared hahaha Xd i will fail probably :D

9. sorry im new with cooking. can anyone tell me whats mirin?
    thanks

you can find it at ralphs in the asain food section. cooking sake

Joshua on December 5th, 2012 at 10:14 pm
  10. Wayyyyy too sweet.

11. I use a bit of dashi powder in it.. sooo yummy!!!!! Yesterday I ate 4 eggs on tamagoyaki… I just love it too much!

12. What can i use to replace mirin or can i not use it?? If I use mirin does it make tamagoyaki taste better? Or no difference at all i dont use it?

You can substitute mirin with sugar. Mirin is just extremely sweet rice wine.

Some prefer to use only mirin, while others prefer it with only sugar. Everybody makes it differently, with different egg:sugar:mirin:soy ratios.

Jonathan on February 10th, 2013 at 6:37 pm
  13. Is it 1 tablespoon mirin, or 1 teaspoon mirin? Just to be sure, since I’ve seen other recipes using less mirin and 4 eggs. Thanks!

14. That’s too much sugar. I used about the half amount and it was still sweet, but acceptable. Next time I will use about a teaspoon sugar and definitely some salt as well. This recipe needs update.