Oliviera Avocat Loco/Apple Guacamole Recipe

Nice is one of the most gorgeous cities I’ve ever visited. During the day, the skies are amazingly clear, but come nightfall, you’re almost always guaranteed a spectacular cloud-dotted, pink-purple sunset. The sky is spectacular, but the ocean is just as mesmerizing: the Mediterranean Sea is some of the the clearest, bluest water you’ll ever see.

Walking along the Promenade des Anglais, you can hear the specific whooshing of the water running from the shore to the sea, the empty water splashing noise is caused by the water brushing against the millions of snow-white rocks that make up the shores. Nice is a city full of spectacular natural beauty, but when I think of Nice, I don’t just think of the gorgeous white pebbled beaches and water bluer than Crayola’s cerulean crayon. I think of the food: the mind-numblingly delicious Niciose Provençal food.

Mike and I had many, many delicious meals in Nice, but one of the most memorable things I ate was at Oliviera. Oliviera is where you can find a dizzying amount of varieties of locally pressed olive oil and a restaurant that showcases them.

Oliviera’s avocat loco was created when the owner of Oliviera visited California and tasted guacamole for the first time. He fell in love with it and when he went back home to Nice he created his own version with Granny Smith apples and olive oil, of course. Avocat loco is creamy, and chockfull of flavour thanks to the massive amounts of herbs. The finely diced apple adds a bit of sour-sweetness and crunch. This guacamole is so good you can eat it by the spoonful if you’re so inclined, or feel free to serve it with a batch of freshly made tortilla chips or on top of slice Granny Smiths.

Oliviera Avocat Loco Recipe adapted from oliviera.com

3 avocados
juice of one lime
2 tablespoons each of chervil, cilantro, green onions, parsley, finely chopped
1 Thai red chili, finely sliced
1/2 Granny Smith apple, finely diced
fleur de sel and pepper to taste
olive oil to finish

Use a fork to gently mash the avocados and mix in the lime juice and finely chopped herbs and chili. Add the apple and gently mix in. Taste and season accordingly. Finish with a drizzle of good olive oil and enjoy immediately.

1. The presentation of that dish looks amazing. Using a thinly sliced apple as a “plate” is quite clever, a technique I’ll definitely try in the future.

Thanks! The apples make a great “chip.”

steph on June 1st, 2010 at 10:54 am
  2. I had never thought to combine apples with avocado before! But I am quite happy with the fatty texture as is.
    Why are the peppers in the first picture whitish?

The apples do cut a bit of the fatty texture, but if they’re diced small enough, they just add a pleasing crunch.

The peppers still have a bit of frost on them; Mike likes to snack on frozen peppers!

steph on June 1st, 2010 at 10:56 am
  3. You know what’s really good with avocado ? SUSHI. Specifically spicy tuna sashimi.

This looks great!

Thanks and I love spicy tuna rolls!

steph on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:52 am
  4. Thanks for sharing such a neat recipe! I never would have considered putting apples and avocados together, but it looks like it works really well!

Oh, I hope to be able to visit Nice some day. Those pictures are so pretty.

I never would have thought of apples and avocados either but they go great!

You should definitely visit Nice. It’s gorgeous and there’s lots of fantastic food!

steph on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:57 am
  5. Thank you David and Peter for complementing our Avocat Loco on this excellent site.
    It is one of our most successful and refreshing starter.
    I would love to add that the 3 heirloom tomato varieties add a lot to the dish, and not only for their taste; don’t we start eating with the eye?
    The 3 varieties clockwise from the left are:
    Andes Cornuta
    Pineapple
    Green Zebra.
    They are organically grown locally on the Nice hills by Pierre Magnani, our supplier of fruits and vegetables. He grows about 120 variety!

The olive oil we use is a variety called the ’bouteillan’, with its superb grassy fruitiness that adds a dash of ‘freshly mowed lawn’ aroma to the whole.

Hi Nadim,
    Sorry for the confusion, but David and Peter don’t have anything to do with the site! I’m cooking my way through the cookbook and other recipes that I love.
    Thanks for letting me know about the tomatoes, I’ll have to try and find them!

steph on June 3rd, 2010 at 9:09 am

Here, I stand corrected:
    Sorry Steph

It’s ok! I love your restaurant and olive oils! I can’t wait to visit Nice again; I’ll be at Oliviera for sure!

steph on June 5th, 2010 at 8:56 am
    Nadim Berouti on June 3rd, 2010 at 10:50 am
  6. We loved Oliviera when we were living near Nice! we are still working through the fantastic olive we got there – it was the most complex olive oil. Yummy…My mother in law was absolutely in love with the owner.

Oliviera olive oils are amazing!

steph on June 7th, 2010 at 2:39 pm