Momofuku Shortcakes with Macerated Strawberries and Whipped Cream

My favourite cartoon when I was a kid was Strawberry Shortcake. I loved her giant hat and how everyone was named after food. I would spend countless hours inventing stories with the dolls, which I still have, boxed up in the basement of my parents’ house.

Now that I think about it, Strawberry Shortcake just might have been that pivotal childhood obsession that spilled over into my adult life. Most of Strawberry Shortcake’s waking hours are spent thinking about what sweet treat she’s going to create; I too think constantly about what I’m going to eat. Strawberry Shortcake was such a big influence on my life when I was a child that even my mom was involved making Strawberry Shortcake-influenced dresses and of course, strawberry shortcake dessert.

There are lots of variations of strawberry shortcake, but the version I grew up with was store bought sponge cakes (the neon yellow ones with the convenient depression in the middle), vanilla ice cream and sliced strawberries. This might not sound like strawberry shortcake to many people, but to my seven-year-old self, it was heavenly. The softness of the cake, the cold creaminess of the ice cream and the sweetness of the berries drove home the idea that strawberry shortcake was the ideal dessert and TV show.

Momofuku shortcakes are made with actual shortcakes and not sponge cake. The shortcakes are crackly, pouffy domes that kind of look like scones. They’re made like scones too with the butter and shortening cut into the flour and the wet ingredients barely mixed in. It was a little difficult shaping the cakes due to the extremely loose batter, but once they were chilled, then baked, the shortcakes turned impressively fluffy.

The best part of strawberry shortcake is the strawberries and Momofuku shortcakes are adorned by deliciously juicy macerated strawberries. Generally, I don’t eat my strawberries with sugar, but gently tossing sliced strawberries with sugar draws out the juices and really improves the strawberriness of your berries.

The shortcakes were too salty the first time we ate them, but the next day, while having them with a friend, they seemed the perfect balance between sweet and salty. The freshly whipped cream with the juicy, sweet strawberries and fluffy shortcake were are tantalizing hint of all the summery things to come.

1. Yum, wish I could eat some right now!

Strawberries are in season! You should make a bacon strawberry shortcake!

steph on May 31st, 2010 at 10:05 am
  2. No recipe for this one? just being a shortcake tease? ;) LOL

I think I found it!!!

That’s the recipe!

steph on May 31st, 2010 at 10:07 am
    Jen on May 30th, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Heehee, I never post up the Momofuku recipes, just my own!

steph on May 31st, 2010 at 10:05 am

Oh… didnt know.. thought you were putting up stuff from the book.. I would have gotten a copy of Momofuku at Sur La Table, cause they had it on sale for $20, but they didnt have it in the store… how sneaky of them :)

Mike on May 31st, 2010 at 10:54 am
  3. Sometimes I macerate my strawberries with red wine and honey.
    But really, no matter what you do with them, strawberries taste good.

It’s true, strawberries are good even unadorned, but red wine and honey sounds delicious!

steph on May 31st, 2010 at 10:06 am
  4. I forgot to ask.. how much Salt did you put in there? Since you said they were a bit salty at first.

The recipe calls for a tablespoon of salt but I cut that down to 1/2 tablespoon.

steph on May 31st, 2010 at 10:07 am
  5. These look delicious, especially with the combination of sweet and salty tastes.

Sweet and salty is the best, especially when they’re perfectly balanced!

steph on May 31st, 2010 at 10:07 am
  6. I have been debating whether to make the Momofuku shortcake recipe or a more traditional recipe for a while. Do you think these are better than traditional ones? The look great!

By traditional do you mean with cake? I love traditional shortcake, just cause it’s sweet and soft, but if you’re looking for something fun and different, go with these! Cut the salt if you’re not a salt fiend and don’t worry if the batter is all crumbly at first, it firms up when you ball it up and put it in the fridge. Let me know what you end up doing!

steph on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:55 am
  7. You just blew my mind: I never realized the influence Strawberry Shortcake had on me, but as a child, I was DEEP into SS. As an adult, I still think about eating yummy treats all the time.

It explains so much.

Hahaha, it’s funny how a cartoon can have so much weight in someone’s life, but I too have an obsession with sweets and cute things!

steph on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:58 am
  8. Just curious.. hope you can tell me.. how much flour and baking powder did you put in there? I put in 1.5 cups of flour and 1.5 tsp of baking powder, but they came out way too flat, not sure if i needed more leavening or flour to keep them more stable.

My shortcakes were pretty flat too. They were super puffy right out of the oven, then they fell a bit. I halved the recipe, so I used 3/4 cups flour and 3/4 tsp baking powder. If you up the baking powder, they might come out a bit puffier, but the butter content in the shortcakes does cause some spreading. Maybe do all shortening instead of a butter shorting mix.

steph on June 16th, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I just tried this recipe yesterday, and my shortcakes came out very, very flat. I had to bake them for something like 15 minutes before they firmed up, and I could not remove them to a cooling rack, I had to let them cool right on the cookie sheets. I was more than prepared to be disappointed, but when we tasted them we forgot all about how flat they were! My son is not a big strawberry shortcake fan, and he said it was the best strawberry shortcake he’d ever had. And my husband, who is a dyed-in-the-wool proponent of using baking powder biscuits for the shortcake part of the dessert, absolutely LOVED them as well. So this recipe is a keeper. Now if I can just experiment with getting them to be a little pouffier.

The shortcakes do have a totally different flavour than regular strawberry shortcake. Mine were flat too, but delicious as well.

steph on June 23rd, 2010 at 12:08 pm
    Cher on June 17th, 2010 at 6:24 am
  9. this looks delish. I have more strawberries than I know what to do with. I want to eat this recipe right out of my computer screen. Too bad I’m feeling too lazy to cook right now

10. My baby bedsheets (which I still have) are Strawberry Shortcake!