Chicken Miso Ramen Recipe

I know you’re probably wondering, when is she going to get back to the Momofuku stuff? Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about Chang and his crazy recipes, in fact, I just received my sample size of Activa meat glue in the mail. Meat glue equals Brick Chicken and whatever other weird and wondrous meat monstrosities I can come up with for Meat Glue Week.

In the mean time, I’m still recuperating from my lingering cough with my seemingly endless chicken soups. Miso chicken ramen is one of my favourites and one that you can definitely make with pre-home-made or store-bought chicken stock.

Chicken ramen, the instant kind, is my kind of trashy comfort food. Before I really started cooking, Sapporo chicken flavoured instant noodles used to be my go-to after school snack. Now I know better; the neon yellow of instant noodle broth can’t be good for me.

I still love chicken ramen though. There’s a lightness to the broth that you don’t get with the heavier pork bone ramen broths. Adding miso to chicken stock adds a little bit of depth, but there’s a play between lightness of the stock and the umami packed flavour of miso. The earthiness of the miso with the sweet crunch of corn is utterly delicious.

Chicken miso ramen can be as simple as noodles topped with chicken broth with a spoon of white miso stirred in, or it can be as complex as home made broth and carefully thought out toppings. I like to top my ramen with shredded dark meat chicken, corn pan-fried in butter, thinly sliced onions, some greens, a soft boiled egg, and green onions. Now there’s real comfort food!

Chicken Miso Ramen Recipe
Serves 2

4 cups of chicken stock (I used some leftover chicken-ginger stock)
2 tablespoons shiro miso (white miso)
1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 cup of corn
1 tablespoon of butter
2 cups spinach
2 eggs
2 servings of ramen noodles

Optional Garnish:
sliced green onions
nori
sesame seeds

Heat up your chicken stock and gently stir in the miso until it is mixed in. Taste and add more miso if needed. Miso pastes vary in saltiness, so adjust accordingly.

Bring a pot of water to boil for the eggs. Gently lower them into the boiling water and cook for 6 minutes. Remove from the water and run them under cold tap water until they are cool to the touch. Peel and slice in half.

Heat the butter over medium heat and add the corn. Stir to coat each kernel of corn in butter. Set aside.

Blanch the spinach in salted boiling water until just wilted. Remove from the water and set aside.

Cook the ramen noodles according to the package, drain and place in the bottom of two large bowls.

Top the ramen with the shredded chicken, thinly sliced onions, egg, corn, spinach and a sprinkling of garnish. Enjoy!

1. Looks so delicious, especially the no quite hard boiled egg. Can’t wait to see the meat glue in action!

Heehee, I’m looking forward to the meat glue too. I need to get myself some gloves though – there’s a no hands sign on the packaging!

steph on May 7th, 2010 at 10:39 am
  2. Looks like a really soothing and delicious ramen dish!
    Yum!

The creaminess of the egg and miso make it super soothing.

steph on May 7th, 2010 at 10:40 am
  3. This soup looks fantastic; love how the texture of crunchy corn mixes with the soft egg. I’m going to make this tonight!

I hope your ramen turned out! The corn is the best part!

steph on May 7th, 2010 at 10:40 am
  4. I’ve been enjoying the entire week of chicken soups. Just wish it was not a result of being sick. You should even consider publishing a small e-book with your recipes. They are great.

Thanks, and don’t worry, I am getting better, but now I’m just on a chicken soup kick!

steph on May 7th, 2010 at 10:41 am
  5. I can’t wait for the meat glue posts. I’m imagining un-natural Franken-meat abominations of God. Fish, fowl, pork, and beef. Combinations that would give even Homer Simpson pause.

Since you were interested in Chicago-style deep dish pizza:

The King Arthur Flour blog has a recipe. No matter what toppings you use, it should be a stuffed pizza – an inner layer covered in dough and then a topping on that.
    Some people were having trouble getting the sausage layer to cook through, so they cooked it first.

Soon I will be gluing meat. Any suggestions on what to glue?

Thanks for the link to the deep-dish pizza. I can’t imagine eating pizza topped with crust!

steph on May 7th, 2010 at 10:42 am
  6. Beautiful ramen!

Thank you!

steph on May 7th, 2010 at 10:46 am
  7. Mmm I love white miso. It’s less salty than regular miso and it has a very smooth texture. Love, loove ramen noodle soup. Your version looks delicious :)

I love the subtle flavour of white miso.

steph on May 7th, 2010 at 10:48 am
  8. I love Ramen in miso broth. This looks really good.

Thanks! I really like miso ramen too.

steph on May 7th, 2010 at 10:52 am
  9. Stumbled upon your blog and been reading it since…You’re getting better with each post!
    Curious: Has David Chang offered you a liftime of free meals at Momofuku yet?

Thanks so much!

And no, no free meals!

steph on May 7th, 2010 at 10:53 am
  10. Yummy! Can’t wait to try this out

Hope you enjoy it!

steph on May 10th, 2010 at 2:19 am
  11. This one looks amazing too! I love all of these recipes. Thanks for sharing!

No problem, hope you get a chance to try some!

steph on May 14th, 2010 at 10:35 am
  12. I’m making this tonight! Thanks! And how do you get your photos to look so bright?

13. looks so yummy and simple to make :) I will be trying it with these purple wheat noodles i recently bought! Thanks!

14. I’m feeling very under-the-weather today so i’m making chicken miso soup too. I’ll be adding a bit of tofu in there too. om nom nom. no corn for me but plenty of spring onions and maybe a chilli too. XD

15. just made this it was the most delicious hangover cure ive ever had

16. Just bought some ramen bowls in Kappabashi. So excited to try your recipe and break them in.

17. Awaiting yet to cook. My youngest son Miko, loves Miso ramen