Chicken Kimchi Stew Recipe

Kimchi stew is what made me fall in love with kimchi – either that or David Chang’s kimchi recipe. Honestly though, I think there’s something about cooking kimchi that mellows out the flavours and makes it more accessible. Kimchi stew is spicy, sweet and one of my favourite fast meals.

Making kimchi stew is fast, especially if you’re willing to use store bought kimchi and chicken broth. Traditionally, kimchi stew is made with pork, but if you don’t eat pork or want a lighter version, chicken is your best bet.

Chicken Kimchi Stew Recipe

serves 2

2 cups of cooked shredded chicken
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup kimchi
1 onion, thinly sliced
5 shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons mirin

salt and pepper to taste
green onions for garnish

Pan-fry the sliced onions in a touch of oil over medium heat until brown and melty. Add the kimchi and heat through. Add the chicken broth, chicken, and mushrooms and bring to a simmer.  Add the mirin. Simmer the stew for at least 30 minutes so all the flavours meld together. Taste, season with salt and pepper if needed, garnish with green onions and serve with rice.

1. Kimchi Jigae is the go-to meal in our family for something quick and satisfying. With a warm bowl of rice its heavenly!

We often use canned tuna thats been washed and drained of excess oil when we don’t have any other meat

Yes, it’s to die for with rice!

steph on May 10th, 2010 at 2:20 am
  2. I think you should have started your soups with this. Naturally fermented vegetables are high in B-complex vitamins and the heat is good for blood flow as well as clearing the sinuses.

On the subject of meat glue, I believe one of your projects should include bacon. It only seems right. I remember that when roasting lean meats, barding is often used. That is, laying down layers of fat or fatty meat on the lean meat to keep it moist.
    I remember that David Chang used it to glue fat from aged meat beef to beef that could not be aged, like hanger steak. I’m going to brainstorm something along those lines.

I always feel funny eating spicy stuff when I’m sick, even though I know it’s supposed to be good for you. Somehow though, it just makes me cough more.

steph on May 10th, 2010 at 2:21 am
  3. Loving all the Korean dishes you have created! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Ellie!

steph on May 10th, 2010 at 2:21 am
  4. Awesome! Must try this soon. Perfect for the winter :)

5. Interesting idea to add chicken in Kimchee stew. Normally we(Koreans) use pork, tuna, or ham to flavor the dish. But hey, creativity is what we need, right?

I was on a chicken kick; I liked it a lot, but I’ll admit, I prefer the pork version a tiny bit more.

steph on May 10th, 2010 at 2:22 am
  6. Technically you are not supposed to use chicken broth, but my mom has always done so at home out of convenience. While it is different from the thicker jigaes at most traditional Korean restaurants, it is just as good. While pork is the traditional way to go, I am a sucker for Spam in my kimchi-jigae. Spam and kimchi make an unbeatable combination.

I agree, all jigaes must be eaten with rice. Always.

The Momofuku version of the Kimchi stew (made with pork ramen broth) was much richer, but sometimes convenience and ease win!

I’ll have to try it with Spam.

steph on May 12th, 2010 at 10:40 am
  7. That kimchi stew looks really good!

Thanks so much!

steph on May 12th, 2010 at 10:53 am
  8. Mahalo for sharing this recipe–I made it last night with pork! The semi-picky kiddos and iffy on soups hubby LOVED it!

That makes me so happy that your family loved it!

steph on May 21st, 2010 at 11:10 am
  9. I was really excited to find this recipe with chicken – although, like some of the other commenters, I do prefer with pork/pork broth but this is good and super easy if you only have chicken in the fridge!

I realised 1/2 way into making the stew that I didn’t have any rice on hand – oh no! But i did buy ramen noodles at the Asian market where I buy my Kimchi, so I prepared it like a ramen instead (I made a little extra broth) and it was divine! I really can’t wait to have the leftovers tomorrow!

10. Hello! In the photo, is that carrot there?

11. This looks delicious plus we will have left-overs!! We need to get glass pyrex ware!!

tamika stewart on February 21, 2012 at 11:48 am
  12. I was looking for a kimchee soup recipe that was similar to the soup Jeanne served at her Korean restaurant in Fort Wayne IN. That was my go to meal whenever I was sick. I don’t remember any meat in it, but this recipe looks very close to what she served. I’m glad I read the comments and see that there is other meat to use instead of chicken. We’re out of chicken right now, so I’m substituting egg but I’ll try pork next time!