Spicy Popcorn Shrimp with Kimchi Mayonnaise Recipe

A while back there was a Dairy Queen commercial where a Dad shrimp is snacking on popcorn when his wife comes home and informs him that he’s eating popcorn shrimp, not popcorn. A couple of seconds later, the shrimp couple look at each other in horror and scream, “Where are the children?”

That commercial always cracked me up. I know it’s morbid, but anthropomorphic food is so deliciously attractive. When I see cute bentos of food smiling at me, it makes me want to eat it so much more. If it wasn’t so time consuming, I would have put cute smiley faces on all the popcorn shrimp I made and giggled while I popped them in my mouth.

As it was, I did giggle while I was eating these popcorn shrimp; they were giggles of sheer joy. A crunchy, spicy, panko crust encasing tiny, sweet, fresh shrimp. It takes a little time, but when all those little shrimp are fried up, you’ll have a giant bowl of popcorn shrimp deliciousness.

Spicy Popcorn Shrimp Recipe

1/2 lb of fresh baby shrimp, peeled
1 cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups of panko
1 tbs kochukaru
1 egg, lightly beaten

oil for deep-frying

1. Mix the kochukaru into the panko crumbs. Set up a breading station with your shrimp, the flour, the lightly beaten egg, and the kochukaru panko.
2. Working in batches, take a handful of shrimp and dip them in the flour, shake off the excess, dip them in the eggs, and then in the kochukaru panko. Make sure each shrimp is coated. Set the coated shrimp aside on a plate while you continue to coat all your shrimp.
3. While you’re coating your shrimp, heat up at least 2 inches of oil to 375˚F in a deep pot.
4. Fry the shrimp in batches to keep the oil a consistent heat. Using a Chinese strainer, gently lower some shrimp into the hot oil. Deep fry the shrimp until golden brown and crunchy, about 3-5 minutes. Be sure to agitate the shrimp so they don’t stick to each other or the pot. When golden-brown, drain the shrimp on a cooling rack with paper towels underneath. Continue to fry in batches until all the shrimp are cooked. Serve hot with kimchi mayonnaise.

Kimchi Mayonnaise Recipe

2 tablespoons of kimchi, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons of kewpie mayonnaise

Mix the kewpie mayonnaise and kimchi together.

1. You and my kids both; all laughing while eating the happy face bento! Muahahaha!
    Genius way to eat popcorn shrimp w/ kimchi mayo. I’ll never use tartar sauce again.

Heehee, I wish I could eat your cute bentos!

I love the kimchi mayo; it’s super simple and yummy.

steph on April 11th, 2010 at 10:29 pm
  2. Omg!! These look sooo delish! Kimchi mayo!?!? My mouth watered!

Give the kimchi mayo a try, it’s super easy to make!

steph on April 11th, 2010 at 10:29 pm
  3. These look wonderful. No wonder you were smiling. I love the idea of kimchi mayonnaise – what a superb idea! I really love kimchi so I am sure that I will love this meal. Thanks for sharing it.

4. i love it….you rock

Thank you!

steph on April 11th, 2010 at 10:30 pm
  5. Yuuuum, and I second vanillasugar – you rock!

Thanks Julia!

How’s the cooking going!?

steph on April 11th, 2010 at 10:30 pm
  6. Those look so good. Between those and the confit wings, a day could be made with high end bar (type) food.
    I don’t know if I could stop at half a pound though.

Well, luckily, I only made half a pound or we would have eaten more!

steph on April 11th, 2010 at 10:37 pm
  7. It’s had to be put on the backburner for now sadly. I’m staying with my mum who has huge food allergies and it’s not the kind of food to cook for one! But my boy in Brooklyn knows to expect game on as soon as we see each other again, hopefully soon :-)

Have to say again though, great recipe!

Aww, that’s too bad about the cooking, but at least you get to spend time with you mum! And it’ll make the food taste that much better when you do cook it!

Thanks again!

steph on April 12th, 2010 at 10:35 am
  8. Kimchi Mayo is genius. Have you tried the rock shrimp tempura recipe from the morimoto cookbook? It’s one of the best shrimp recipes I’ve ever come across. It’s also totally ghetto and used sweetened condensed milk. I couldn’t quickly find the recipe for it (happy to type it out if you don’t have the book), but here’s a pic: http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/cleanplatecharlie/2010/03/100_favorite_dishes_rock_shrimp_from_morimoto.php

Cheers!

Mmm, a shrimp recipe with sweetened condensed milk, I’d be all over that! I don’t actually have to the book, so if would be awesome if you could type it out for me! I can’t wait to try it!

steph on April 13th, 2010 at 9:24 am
  9. Kimchi mayo would be so good!

It goes great with a bunch of things, just use it where you’d use regular mayo!

steph on April 21st, 2010 at 12:19 pm