Potato Chips for the Soft-Cooked Hen Egg

In all of my deep-frying I have never made home-made potato chips. I love chips, especially super crunchy kettle chips. My love for chips is probably genetic: my mom has a thing for chips, she’s always buying new flavours and brands. On any given occasion, she’ll have 2-3 unopened bags in her snack cupboard.

She says it’s just in case people come over and she needs to open a bag for them, but really, my whole family knows they’re for her. You’d think my mom would be grossly overweight with all her chip eating but she’s not because the weird thing is: she only eats 5-10 chips at a time. If she’s the only one eating the chips, it’ll take her about 2-3 weeks to finish a bag.

I on the other hang, can easily consume a bag of chips in one sitting. I was pretty excited to try my hand at home made chips. Really, it’s easy: scrub potatoes, thinly slice potatoes, dry potatoes, deep fry potatoes, season. It’s simpler than pie!

Chang’s recipe calls for his beloved fingerling potatoes, but fingerlings in Vancouver are hard to find, so I used some regular white potatoes. A quick pass through the mandoline, a couple or rinses of water and they were good to go in the oil.

These chips were delicious: crispy, fresh and hot, Mike and I ate a big bowl before I set some aside for the Soft-Cooked Hen Egg dish. The chips tasted fabulous with the onion soubise, kind of like a super-fancified chips and French onion dip.

How to make Potato Chips at home:

1. Thinly slice as many potatoes as you want (about 1/16″, a mandolin is best)
  2. Rinse off the starch in water a couple of times or until the water is clear
  3. Pat dry the chips before frying
  4. Deep fry a few at a time
  5. Season
  6. Eat!

Tomorrow: Soft-Cooked Hen Egg with Onion Soubise and Potato Chips

Other parts of this dish: Onion Soubise

1. Are home made chips any different from the regular salted ones you can get in a bag?

They are great hot and fresh. Much better.

I couldn’t stop eating them when they were hot! Good thing it’s a bit of a hassle to deep-fry, otherwise I’d be eating a lot of potatoes…

steph on April 21st, 2010 at 12:22 pm
    Andy on April 21st, 2010 at 12:06 am

Em, just fresher, I think. There isn’t really much of a taste difference, except when you’re eating them when they’re hot, then they’re fantastically different!

steph on April 21st, 2010 at 12:19 pm
  2. There’s a produce place around here that just installed a potato-chip frying stand in the middle of the store. I can’t really buy potato chips very often, because I have absolutely no self control. Like, whereas your mom may have three unopened bags of chips in her cabinet, there would be no such thing in my home.

At any rate, these chips look great. I’ll have to try these at some point.

Ooh, a potato-chip frying stand sounds like heaven! There used to be a store here that sold fresh chips that they’d toss in different flavours when you bought them; they were super addictive. They shut down though.

Hmm, waffled chips?!

steph on April 21st, 2010 at 12:21 pm
  3. They make fresh potato chips at bars and restaurants in northern Kentucky and southern Ohio. They are called “Saratoga Chips” because potato chips were supposedly invented in Saratoga Springs, NY.
    Hot and fresh with a side of warm barbeque sauce. Nice side to go with a cold beer.

They also make deep fried pickle chips there. Completely an acquired taste, totally nasty when cold.

Hmm, I’ve never thought about who invented chips. I’m going to have to read up on that now!

Deep-fried pickle chips, huh?

Deep fried pickles must be eaten hot.
    They taste even more sour when hot. The crispiness offsets the vegetable crunch. The acid cuts the oily taste.
    When cold, the water seeps out of the pickles and makes them soggy. Combined with the oil, it is not good eating.

Maybe I’ll try them one of these days, but I’m thinking they don’t really sound like my kind of thing.

steph on April 22nd, 2010 at 4:23 pm
    Andy on April 21st, 2010 at 3:10 pm
    steph on April 21st, 2010 at 12:23 pm
  4. YUM!! Crisp glass of white wine. Perfect.

A nice crisp glass of white wine and freshly fried chips: heaven!

steph on April 21st, 2010 at 12:24 pm
  5. So easy and delicious. Thanks for posting!

No problem, hope you get to try them!

steph on April 21st, 2010 at 12:24 pm
  6. when I was a kid, and my mom didn’t have chips in the cupboard btw, I had a mini adventure trying to make my own. Only 5 chips turned out, but they were delicious! You’ve made them just the way I like ‘em! yum!

Was the mini adventure when you were a kid? What happened? Don’t leave me hanging here!

steph on April 21st, 2010 at 12:27 pm
  7. Super easy and a nice treat for a lazy christmas lunch! Thanks for the how to! :)