Pan-Roasted Dry-Aged Rib Eye

My parents are quirky and ironic: they don’t eat beef, but one of their favourite places for dinner is The Keg, a steakhouse. My dad will inevitably want to order the prime rib, because he thinks they’re pork ribs, but better, because they’re “prime.” We all laugh about it, but really, why do they chose The Keg when they don’t eat beef?

My dad honestly doesn’t mind not eating beef, in fact he’s pretty adamantly against it, but my mom, on the other hand was taken along for the ride and I think she sometimes misses it even though she was never an avid beef eater.

My parents haven’t eaten beef for over 20 years now and I’ve just recently started, so cooking beef is rather new to me. It’s an alluring, mysterious meat that I haven’t had much experience with, so I was a little nervous cooking up the pan-roasted dry-aged rib eye.

It’s a simple process: season, sear, roast, baste, rest, slice and eat, but when you’re working with a piece of meat you’re not entirely familiar with, you want to be sure you’re doing it justice. Thankfully, Chang’s recipe is clear, concise and basically perfect.

I didn’t end up buying a 2 to 2 1/2 pound steak, so I cut the cooking time a bit to ensure medium-rareness. The searing time stayed the same, but instead of 8 minutes in the oven, I left it in for 6. Be warned, cooking this steak is going to set off some fire alarms, so make sure your exhaust fans are on and you have some windows open. I forgot and we ended up enjoying our steak in a blue haze.

If you’ve never basted a steak with butter, I recommend it, especially aromatic butter that has been infused with thyme, garlic and shallots. It’s magical: the butter coats and flavours the meat with deliciousness. This steak makes me want to compare it to rainbows, unicorns, and all things right with the world, it was that good.

This was ultimately, the best steak I’ve ever cooked, even if its the only one I’ve done. Mike can attest to its perfection. So can Julia at I (Heart) Momofuku. It might have been the quality of the meat, or the method, but it was one damn good piece of meat. Juicy, tender, beefy. If all beef tastes the way this rib-eye does, I was missing out on beef all this time.

1. For somebody who hasn’t cooked steaks, you certainly have the right pan for it. A heavy cast iron pan is perfect for this. Chang has you tipping the pan, to gather the fats for basting. A lighter pan would cool off a lot.
    I’d say it was both the method and quality of meat. This works with (lesser) more affordable supermarket choice steaks.
    I love the picture with a cube of butter on top of the steak.

The pan was Chang’s idea, so I’m glad I followed the suggestion!

Butter and steak, they are the best of friends!

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:12 am
  2. Ahh, I’ve been waiting for this one. :) Nice job! I also like the butter shot too. It’s like saying “oh yeah… I went there.” Yum! It’s such a good recipe for steak-making newbies (like me). I swear that it’s actually difficult to mess it up.

I agree with you about it being difficult to mess up. I was nervous, but it turned out great based on cooking time alone! I’ll have to try it with other steaks, like you did.

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:15 am
  3. Butter and steak are amazing together… you must be having so much fun doing this. I thought about cooking through The Epicurean, but with over 1000 recipes… I’d be in a home by the time I was done!

Butter and steak is a pretty delicious combination!

I am having a tonne of fun, but I’ll admit, the scale has been tipping in the wrong direction!

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:16 am
  4. Oh. I have not tried with butter. But will do this wkend. Just got ourselves some lovely porterhouse steak.

How did your steak come out? Butter and steak belong together!

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:17 am
  5. Oh good gah this is gorgeous. Sizzle sells.

There was a lot of sizzle and a lot of smoke! :P

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:19 am
  6. That steak makes me hungry. I gotta get out of here before I got tempted again. lol. :-) No kidding it’s gorgeous.

Thanks! It’s amazing how the most gorgeous food is usually is the most simple.

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:20 am
  7. this looks amazing!!!!

Steak and butter, you can’t go wrong!

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:24 am
    pinayfoodie on April 6, 2010 at 2:11 am
  8. deglaze with a hit of sherry, i like manzanilla or amontillado.
    let rest in butter and juices.even the fats good!

Even the fat is good! Haven’t tried de-glazing with sherry, thanks for the suggestion!

steph on April 7th, 2010 at 12:42 pm
    lionel hawkins on April 6, 2010 at 8:42 pm
  9. Hiya Steph,

Awesome blog and yummilicious food. Kudos to the excellent chef. Now I know where the best food is served when I’m next in Vancouver. Great skills you have Steph. And Happy Eating to Mike and yourself.

Your ADMIRER!!

Hey Auntie Jennie!
    Thanks and yes, when you come visit, you definitely have to let me cook for you!

steph on April 10th, 2010 at 10:57 am
  10. Did this last night for a valentine’s day dinner (with Jamie Oliver’s ‘best roasties’, a simple French vinaigrette, and a chocolate mousse from epicurious), and it was a major success – I also did not spring for a dry-aged steak on the first try, but considering how well this turned out, and how really simple the recipe actually was, I would do this again with the expensive stuff.
    And when I say “do this again” I mean in a few months, when my body has had a chance to recover from the meal!

11. Where can I find “Chang’s” recipe for cooking Dry-aged ribeye steaks?

12. Am I missing something? Where’s the recipe?

yea what temp is the oven after searing?

stephen on August 26th, 2012 at 3:06 pm

yea what temp is the oven after searing?

stephen on August 26th, 2012 at 3:06 pm