Leftover Fridays: Baked Seafood Dynamite Recipe

Note: I’m trying out a new Leftover Fridays format where I make a dish by request that week. If you have a suggestion for what you’d like to see me make next Friday, comment below or send me an email!

Someone wrote in asking me if I had a recipe for Dynamite that I was willing to share. Now, my recipes are never secret, I love to share! Thing is – I’ve never heard of this dish! A little Googling did not lead me any closer to an answer; dynamite seemed to refer to a spicy sauce, but I got the feeling that’s not what the request was for. Intrigued, I emailed her back and discovered that in Denver, dynamite is baked seafood in a special spicy sauce made with kewpie mayonnaise.

With a bag of mystery seafood in my freezer, courtesy of my in-laws (my parents know some local fishers), I decided to give dynamite a go. I pan-fried some mushrooms and mystery seafood; tossed it with kewpie mayonnaise, sriracha and mentaiko; and broiled it in the toaster oven for a golden brown crust. The baked seafood dynamite was spicy, creamy and incredibly quick to make. The spicy dynamite sauce goes great with rice, or as Mike preferred it, with beer.

Baked Seafood Dynamite Recipe

2 cups assorted seafood, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 teaspoon oil

Dynamite Sauce

1/4 cup kewpie mayonnaise
2 teaspoons sriracha
1 tablespoon mentaiko or masago (optional)

green onions, sliced, for garnish
nori strips, for garnish

1.  Make the dynamite sauce by mixing together the mayonnaise, sriracha and mentaiko (optional).
2. Pan-fry the mushrooms in oil over medium-high heat. After a few minutes, add seafood and continue frying until golden brown and cooked.
3. Mix the seafood and mushrooms with half of the dynamite sauce.
4. Put the seafood and mushrooms into a oven-proof baking dish, top with the remaining sauce and broil on high for five minutes.
5. Remove from the oven, garnish with green onions and nori and serve hot. Enjoy.

It was really fun discovering a dish I’ve never heard of. I think this is going to be my new Friday gig. If you have a suggestion for what you’d like to see me  make next Friday, comment below or send me an email!

1. Looks so yummy!

Thank you!

steph on April 10th, 2010 at 10:49 am
  2. As I read your blog, I am imagining the taste of this recipe. I think this is awesome! I love seafoods and the nutrients it contains. So I am ready to go for this one. And yes you are right, this is a somehow a quick recipe to make. Thanks for sharing! :)

No problem, I hope you like it!

steph on April 10th, 2010 at 10:50 am
  3. This might sound stupid, but what is kewpie mayonnaise?

It’s not stupid a stupid question! Kewpie mayonnaise is Japanese mayo made with apple cider vinegar (instead of regular white vinegar) which gives it a bit of a sweeter flavour. It’s used in a lot of Japanese dishes.

steph on April 10th, 2010 at 10:52 am
  4. kewpie mayo is a brand of japanese mayo. you can go to your local asian store and look for it. http://www.amazon.com/Kewpie-Mayonnaise-Japanese-Mayo/dp/B000W5JAXQ

5. Have you done a whole fish in salt crust before? Impressive and dramatic. The first time I made one was with a friend. We cooked it and were finishing up our meal when another friend came to the door.

She walked in and found us with a fish carcass and a massive pile of salt on the table. The look on her face was priceless.

Hahaha, too bad you didn’t get a picture!

Salt crusted fish a great suggestion; I’ve been wanting to make Keller’s Salt Crusted Bass.

steph on April 10th, 2010 at 10:55 am
  6. Ahhhhhhhh!!!! How freaking exciting!!! How did it taste? Did you like it!! Thanks you! Your the best!!!! :)

No problem, it was fun and it was really tasty!

steph on April 10th, 2010 at 10:56 am
  7. So simple! But was so complicated for me! Thank you!!!

Hope you get a chance to make it!

steph on April 10th, 2010 at 10:56 am
  8. It;s kind of a Japanese Seafood IMperial

It’s funny cause we don’t really have a dish like this in Vancouver, but I guess they have it everywhere else!

steph on April 10th, 2010 at 10:58 am
  9. I had no idea Dynamite was a local thing in Colorado! We had these sushi rolls with dynamite sauce baked on top, it would explain why I can’t find a Dynamite roll around here!

Yups, I have never heard of dynamite sauce before! I guess it’s a local specialty!

steph on April 12th, 2010 at 10:35 am

Good recipe. Next time I will increase the amount of Dynamite Sauce. Maybe I overlooked it, but what do you do with the other half of the sauce?

Whoops! The other half of the sauce is spooned on top of the dish before broiling. Thanks for letting me know about that!

Glad you liked the recipe!

steph on June 16th, 2010 at 12:21 pm
    Bernice on June 12th, 2010 at 7:58 pm
  10. …okay, first…I’m in LOVE with your recipes! I’m sitting down right now to this very dish and loving every bite of it. I was craving this meal and I was worried that it was only going to be a memory form my LA days. A cute little Japanese restaurant called ‘Iroha’s’ in Studio City made this and it was quite popular. THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting this. Second…a friend of mine gave me a signed copy of Momfuku’s book and I about drooled over every recipe, I love the fact you’re recreating them on this blog – you rock!! Thanks so much for this ‘oh-so-tasty’ blog :)

11. People tend to think of this as a local recipe but it is not. Dynamite was first created by a legendary chef called Imai-san of Imai Sushi in Tokyo and mostly prevalent on the west coast because LA is the hub of sushi, in US. It was originally created as an amuse bouche for patrons between dishes, usually from scallops not fresh enough for sushi but perfectly fresh for cooking. In my experience, I have only seen it in California while training at the CSA (California Sushi Academy). I also went to school in Vancouver (PICA) and didn’t see it there.

Some restaurants in LA have adopted and adapted it because lesser chefs than Imai-san quickly used it to cover the freshness of their seafood. I refuse to order it in restaurants as I do not want to pay dearly for what should be stray cats’ dinner. I do make it, however. Especially, when using the green, frozen, PEI mussels. Add little sugar and mirin mixed into the sauce to make it caramelize better. Spoon atop of mussels. Broil in a toaster oven. Garnish with kizami-negi. Quick and delicious way to create a round of hors-doeuvres for any amount of people. It’s always a hit.