English Muffins with Bay Leaf Butter

Mike: Why do you have to poke them with a fork to separate them?
Me:
It’s just the traditional way you separate English Muffins.
Mike:
The English don’t have knives they can use? If they have forks, they have knives.
Me:
I have no idea. English muffins are not my friends.

These English Muffins were supposed to be “loaded with nooks and crannies,” but somehow I ended up with flat, dense, hockey-puck shaped muffins. To be fair, they were loaded with nooks and crannies, but they weren’t the light, fluffy affair I was hoping for.

The dense muffins happened not once, but twice. I’m pretty methodical about following instructions, but somehow these didn’t turn out the way I thought they would. The muffins rose, but they weren’t cooked thoroughly in the middle.

These muffins have been made successfully, so I know it can be done! I was pretty hopeful the muffins would turn out the second time, but I still ended up with a noticeable raw spot of dough in the middle of the muffin. I think it has something to do with the griddle cooking and heat. Luckily, I still have some uncooked muffins from my second batch in the fridge, so I’m going to give cooking them a try again tomorrow.

To cook the muffins, you slow-griddle them in a super-low cast iron pan for 5 minutes before flipping, cooking, flipping, cooking, flipping and cooking again. It’s a long process designed to create a fluffy, light-as-air muffin. Unfortunately, my muffins weren’t fluffy, light or airy.

As unsuccessful as the English muffins were, the Bay Leaf Butter was decidedly a success. My “fresh” bay leaves were not as fresh as when I bought them a few weeks ago, but they gave the butter-lard mixture a big boost of flavour. The bay leaf butter is subtle, glossy and delicious.

Other bloggers who have successfully made Momofuku English Muffins:

Asian Jewish Deli
Food People Want
Corner Loaf

1. They still look great though, Steph!

Thanks Dan. Too bad they didn’t taste the way I thought the would. I should see if kitchenmonki.com has an English muffin recipe that works for me.

Your wish is my command: http://www.kitchenmonki.com/recipe/English_Muffins … Must be good since it has a rating of 5 out of 5 bananas :)

I’ll have to give it a try! Thanks Dan!

steph on April 7th, 2010 at 12:41 pm
    Kitchen Monki Dan on April 6th, 2010 at 8:25 pm
    steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:25 am
  2. Gorgeous. Looks like a successful batch to me. One thing is for sure, they sure are delicate and difficult to handle in those early stages. Now, to try that Bay Leaf butter…

The bay leaf butter was delicious and forgiving…the muffins, not so much!

Your muffins look fantastically fluffy!

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:25 am
  3. Bummer, hate it when that happens, haven’t tried the Momofuku english muffins yet but was planning to. I usually use Dan Lepard’s recipe which turns out fantastic even with white wheat flour.

I think if I want to master English muffins, I’m going to have to try another recipe, so thanks for the tip about Dan Lepard!

steph on April 7th, 2010 at 12:40 pm
  4. I know you’re following the Momofuku recipes, but I’ve started cooking the microwaved (yep, that’s right) english muffin loaf (again, uh-huh) recipe from Beard on Bread, and it’s a marvel. Basically it’s a one bowl, no knead, two rise loaf that you nuke for about 6 minutes in a pyrex loaf pan. It comes out all pale and white, but you slice it up and toast it and it’s seriously the best nook ‘n crannie english muffin you’ve ever had. I’m happy to share the recipe if you don’t have a copy of the book.
    by the way, been really enjoying reading the blog!

Hmm, an English muffin loaf sounds very intriguing. I just googled it and it sounds good and simple. I think I might give it a try the next time I’m craving English muffins. Thanks!

steph on April 7th, 2010 at 12:46 pm
  5. Let me know how those tips turn out. I hope you get a better result with your next batch. I’m going to try a recipe from one of Reinhart’s books because I’m such a bread snob, he’s the only one I trust!

Thanks for the tips Christine. I can’t wait to see your English muffins!

steph on April 7th, 2010 at 12:47 pm
  6. if I am not mistaken you use a fork to seperate english muffins, to help create the nooks and crannies. If you use a knife then the cut surfaces will be smooth.

Fork splitting does create more nooks and crannies! I did an informal experiment with slicing vs. forking and the forking was nook and crannies superior for sure.

steph on April 15th, 2010 at 11:25 am
  7. I made these yesterday and while my first batch was still slightly gummy in the middle of each half, I still thought they were delicious.

I have more in the fridge, I think I will cook them at a higher heat in the oven, or for just a few minutes longer, to see if that helps.

Love your blog, it’s helped me a lot in my momofuku cookbook journey.

Glad to be of help!
    I tried so many ways of cooking the muffins after I posted this, but no success! I hope your muffins come out cooked!

steph on May 12th, 2010 at 10:41 am