Cinnabon Recipe

My mom hates cinnamon with a passion, so growing up, I never knew the joy of cinnamon sugar toast, snickerdoodles or pumpkin pie at home. She can smell the stuff a mile away, and always steers clear. Even now, when I bake something for her with the tiniest amount of cinnamon, she will wrinkle her nose like a four year old and say, “Ew. Cinnamon.”

Thankfully for me, I discovered cinnamon at the mall where I would shamelessly line up again and again for free samples of Cinnabon. Those were the days they freely gave out samples without asking, “Where’s your mommy?” Those were the days before liabilities, constant parental supervision and allergies.

That first taste of the doughy, sweet, cinnamon sugar cream cheese topped swirl of deliciousness and I was hooked. It was heaven on a toothpick! It was better than Coco Pebbles, Fruit Rolls Ups, and Fun-Dip.

I would stand at the baking window, on my tip-toes, and watch the sullen teenagers roll out the dough, butter it up, and then sprinkle on the magic: brown sugar and cinnamon. I could watch them for hours, the methodical cutting, nestling, and baking of the buns. Come to think of it, I did watch them for hours while my parents had coffee a couple tables away, chatting with friends, nothing knowing what my brother and I were up to.

Once my mom actually bought me a whole Cinnabon. It was huge, larger than the size of my head; I couldn’t finish it so we took it home where I ate it over the next few days. It was good times. Even now, cinnamon buns remind me of a simpler time when all it took to make me happy was a couple of mesmerizing hours watching the cinnabon bun makers and the heady smell of brown sugar and cinnamon.

Clone of a Cinnabon adapted from All Recipes

1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast

1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, softened

1. Combine the warm milk and yeast in a bowl. After a few minutes, add the sugar, butter and lightly beaten eggs. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl, make a well and add the liquid ingredients, stirring to combine into a dough. Knead until smooth, cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
2. After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
3. Roll dough into a 16×21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls.
4. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
5. Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes.

1. They look delicious, but not cream cheese frosting?

Hahaha. I didn’t have any cream cheese at home and I was too lazy to run out and buy some. I love cream cheese frosting though.

moi 2

binca on November 19th, 2010 at 9:34 am
    steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:18 am
  2. HUNGRY!!! that looks good… Mmmmm!

The buns didn’t last too long in this house! I feel like I should be making more right now…

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:20 am
  3. OMG! These couldn’t look any better unless they were going into my mouth! I love the comment about “the days before allergies.” I often wonder why it suddenly seems that so many kids are allergic to something.

It seems like everyone is allergic. I’m so happy I’m not. *knock on wood*

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:21 am
  4. Looks pretty good. I need to start baking again.

Go for it! I stop myself from baking too much because I’m horrible at scaling, so I end up with tonnes of baked goods with no one to eat them.

I happened to by all purpose flour instead of bread flour do you think it will come out that same?

Marisol on November 25th, 2011 at 2:23 pm
    steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:22 am
  5. They look so good! I want to pick up one from the screen :)

Heehee, thanks Ellie! Your food makes me reach for my screen all the time!

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:22 am
  6. Looks so yummy! I’m definitely copying down this recipe to bake sometime in the near future!

It’s a pretty good recipe. All the people on All Recipes can’t be wrong!

The gooey insides are the best part!

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:23 am
  7. This is my go-to cinnamon roll recipe! Your rolls look great! You just need icing :).

It’s a pretty popular cinnamon bun recipe. I’m glad I finally made them!

As for icing, definitely next time. I need to stock up on cream cheese!

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:23 am
  8. Looks stunning!

Thank you!

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:24 am
  9. i llovecinnamon

10. looks awwwwwsoooome

11. looks terrible i’ve been in cinnabon industry for a years and it was my first time seeing an cinnabon image looks trash, i can’t figure out that you’ve done that kind of disgusting image of cinnabon.you better learn how to make a real cinnabon.

arnold pineda on April 24, 2011 at 7:37 am
  12. I’m always attempting new cinnamon bun recipes, and this one is the best to date! Easy to follow and makes tasty, fluffy, perfect buns.

13. Just found out I have Cealiac illness so I can’t eat any gluten in breads or rolls or sweet cake. This reciepe is perfect for me as I did just find gulten free baking flour at a bargin store fore a 1.00 and was going to flour chicken with it. Now i can make these up and freeze them one at a time just for me, Ha Ha they get all th other stuff . You advertize it as a gluten free reciepe they are hard to find. thanks this really makes my day.

14. If cooked to long they’ll be dry and hard. Check them. It might take you a few tries to get them correct so don’t kill any recipe if you make mistakes.

15. yummmmm this looks amazing and thanks for the step by step photo’s too, it means I’ll be able to figure out if I’m going along the right path!
    Have bought yeast specially to try this recipe out but everyone in my house is so ‘health’ conscious so going to wait until everyone’s in the Christmas spirit and make it for work colleagues!

16. Really enjoyed reading your childhood memories – brought a smile & chuckle. Have been compililing multi cinnamon bun recipes, comparable to Julia & Julia of Cinnamon Rolls & will be baking each recipe to decide which is our favorite. Your recipe looks simple, quick & just what we’ve been searching for. We prefer “no frosting” – we feel it suffocates the delicious, rustic taste of the cinnamon roll itself. I do add raisins & walnuts. Thanks much & will be checking out the rest of your recipes. Have a great Fall/Winter!