It’s Easter Weekend and in honour of all chocolate bunnies everywhere I’m posting a Chocolate Orange Cupcake recipe. I had an order for chocolate orange cupcakes today and they were so good that I had to make more and share them! I’ve never been a fan of the orange-chocolate combo, but these cupcakes blew my mind: rich, moist chocolate cake made with freshly squeezed orange juice, studded with zest and topped with a simple swipe of chocolate ganache.
The cupcakes are a super simple recipe that can be whipped up for Easter (or anytime) treats. As much as I love and rely on my Kitchen Aid stand mixer, sometimes mixing by hand is so much more satisfying. I found the orange cupcake recipe on Baking Bites; it’s an adaptation of “wacky cake,” a egg and dairy free cocoa-based sponge cake.
No eggs and no dairy can only mean one thing: vegan! I’ve never made vegan cake before so I was a little apprehensive, but the cupcakes were delicious. They formed a nice contrasting crisp top over a tender, soft bottom.
Chocolate Orange Cupcakes from Baking Bites
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa power, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together orange juice, vegetable oil, vanilla and orange zest.
4. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
5. Distribute batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, about 1/4 cup batter per cupcake.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Cool cupcakes on a wire rack before frosting.
Baking Bites topped their cupcakes with a Zesty Orange Frosting, but I just did a simple chocolate ganache.
4 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup of cream
Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until the cream is steaming. Pour the warmed cream over the chopped chocolate and stir until the chocolate has melted and the ganache is smooth. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes, stir, then use a spatula and spread on the cooled cupcakes.
Top the cupcakes with orange zest, if desired.