Chicken Katsu-Oyakodon Recipe

There was a time in my life when I ate oyakodons for lunch every day. I didn’t get sick of them, in fact, the more I ate them, the more I craved them. I would be in a lecture, (not) listening to the professor, and thinking about the oyakodon I would soon be eating. The oyakondons were not particularly good, in fact, they weren’t; I was just obsessed.

I love eggs and chicken together and Chang’s Chicken and Egg dish is the ultimate comfort food: creamy eggs, smoky chicken, steamy white rice. Of course, the Momofuku dish takes pre-planning, pre-cooking and a 40 minute egg. Not exactly instant and when you’re craving a good oyakodon, sometimes what you need is instant.

Traditional oyakodon is bite-sized chicken chunks, eggs and sliced onions simmered in a dashi sauce and then served over white rice. It’s simple home cooking at it’s best and it’s pretty hard to mess up.

I love the softness of the stewed chicken in regular oyakodons, but I wanted some textural context, so instead of simmering the chicken, I katsu-ed it and topped it with a soft dashi onion omelette. Katsu-ing, or breading and frying, is not exactly instant, but it is marginally faster than Chang’s 24-hour cold-smoking chicken process.

Breading the chicken in panko gives the chicken an incredible light and crunchy coating. Panko bread crumbs are made from bread with no crusts, so the crumbs are lighter, larger and crispier than regular bread crumbs. I’m in love with panko. As a major crispaholic, anything that can make food crispier is a pantry staple.

I think I could eat this chicken katsu-oyakodon for lunch every day. The light crispiness of the chicken, the sweet-savory soft eggs, the steamed rice. Oh, oyakodon, why did I ever abandon you?

Chicken Katsu-Oyakodon Recipe

Yield: 2 servings

2 cups of cooked white rice

4 chicken drumsticks, de-boned and cut into bite-sized chunks (see below)
2 tablespoons flour
salt and pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup panko
oil for pan-frying

1/2 cup dashi
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon mirin
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon oil
3 eggs, lightly beaten

sliced green onions for garnish

1. Set up a breading station and break the chunks of chicken by dipping in flour, shaking off excess, dipping in egg, and then in panko. Continue until all chicken is breaded.
2. Heat up oil to 375˚F in a frying pan. Shallow fry chicken in batches until golden brown and cooked. To check, cut a piece of chicken in half. Drain on paper towels and set aside while you cook your onions and eggs.
3. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a sauce pan on medium-high heat. Add the onions and pan-fry until cooked and soft, but not brown. Add the dashi, soy sauce, and mirin and turn the heat to high. When the mirin mixture comes to a boil, add the eggs and turn the heat off and cover the pan so the eggs cook in the residual heat for about 3-4 minutes.
4. Fill rice bowls and place chicken katsu on top. Scoop soft omelette and dashi broth onto the chicken and rice. Garnish with green onions. Enjoy!

How to debone a chicken

1. Listen, I know you’ve heard that Ma Peche is opening in midtown Manhatten.. but if he ever opens up in Gastown, I’m vouching for you to become at least a sous chef in the place, eh?

Hahaha, thanks Dan. If he ever opened something up here, I’d be so busy stuffing my face!

steph on April 7th, 2010 at 12:47 pm
  2. very nice n crispy chicken

Thanks! I love crispy chicken!

steph on April 8th, 2010 at 8:37 pm
  3. Looks absolutely delicious! And I love the matching nail polish with the green onions!

Thank you! Green polish is my spring-time colour.

steph on April 8th, 2010 at 8:37 pm
  4. Oh gosh… this looks really good. I almost had oyakodon for lunch today. But went with the bento box instead.

Mmm…should’ve gone with the oyakodon!

steph on April 8th, 2010 at 8:37 pm
  5. Sounds really good….Diversity of crunch and soft has gotta be SO good.

We really like Katsu curry. Of course some sort of crunchy cold pickled vegi on the side too. It doesn’t look like much, but that’s the stuff that makes life great.

I quite like katsu curry and I especially love katsu sandwiches!

steph on April 8th, 2010 at 8:38 pm
  6. Oh yum,this sounds delicious. I’ve made tonkatsu pork, may have to try your chicken version too.

Katsu anything is pretty good, in my opinion!

steph on April 8th, 2010 at 8:39 pm
  7. Chicken katsu and pork katsu are my favorite. Another delicious crunchy chicken dish is karaage. I love it all. :-)

I love all crunchtastic food too!

steph on April 8th, 2010 at 8:41 pm
  8. I have a question, when I lived in japan I ate this all the time. I just wanted to know if I wanted to make my oyakodon more “saucy” , what would I add more of? I remember it was this kindof brown sauce that made it taste so good. would that be the dashi? or the soy sauce ?

Double the dashi, soy and mirin to make it extra saucy.

steph on August 29th, 2010 at 2:26 pm
  9. i want to know oyakodon’s history, when, where and why the dish is eaten and also the plating and necessary condiments and advices..i need all those information because i have a power point presentation and i have to have all those infos..thanks hope to hear soon from anyone

10. Nice recipe, thanks. I love katsu and this was my first attempt at making any Japanese food myself. I’d never used panko, dashi, or mirin before, so it was an adventure. :-)

The katsu was excellent, but the dashi omlette was a bit of a disaster. I’m not sure exactly how much a cup is coming from the metric system, but according to a measuring jug I had, it was an entire jar of this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bike/3134142458/, which completely overpowered it and made it inedible (I feel like I’ve eaten a month’s worth of salt). Is this how much you use or did I put way too much in.

Hey Adam. The product you’re referring to is an instant dashi. It’s freeze dried dashi stock. Imagine it’s like the Folgers instant coffee granules of dashi. When she called for 1/2 cup dashi, she meant whatever proportion of that powder you’re supposed to use (probably about 1/2 a teaspoon) dissolved in 1/2 a cup of water. A half cup of the powder is enough to make several gallons of stock.

If you want to make the dashi yourself and you can get the two base ingredients at an Asian grocery store, this Alton brown recipe works pretty great with the recipe above:

Dan on February 27th, 2013 at 7:56 pm