Noodle Party: Braised Short Ribs with Dangmyeong

It all started with a simple question from Christine of Big Scary Kitchen: do you have a noodle dance? I thought about it, and realized, yes, I did. Eating noodles can make me so ridiculously happy that I tend to wiggle in my chair if they’re especially good.

There’s nothing better than a steaming bowl of toothsome, delicious noodles. Unless of course, you up the ante by sharing that steaming bowl of noodles with your other friendly noodle lovers. I don’t remember who came up with the idea for the Noodle Party, but I do know that Shao and Christine are serious noodle folk. With an open invite to noodle lovers everywhere, we decided the star noodle would be dangmyeong, a Korean sweet potato glass noodle most commonly used in japchae.

I love japchae, but I was feeling like noodles in soup, so I decided to adapt a recipe I found at foodandwine.com for braised short ribs with dangmyeong. I’ve never made dangmyeong or short ribs, so the noodle party was an awesome opportunity.

If you’ve never had glass noodles, you should give them a try. If you cook them properly, they have a bouncy, springy texture that can’t be beat. The dangmyeong went fantastically with the braised beef.

The recipe for the braised short ribs is pretty simple: brown the ribs then braise them in a soy sauce stock for 2 hours in the oven. After two hours the beef is super succulent and fall off the bone tender.

Carrots, daikon and mushrooms are added to the stock, the noodles are boiled up separately, then everything is served in a big bowl of goodness. I added some sriracha and lemon juice to give it a bit of kick.

The noodles were slurpalicious and perfect with the melt-in-your-mouth meat. Definitely a party worthy bowl of noodles.

Noodles for life! Thanks to everyone who noodled along!

Check out these sites for other Noodle Party Posts:

Braised Short Ribs with Daikon and Dangmyeon Noodles
adapted from foodandwine.com

Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 lbs beef short ribs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup soy sauce or tamari
6 cups water
2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
4 ounces dried dangmyeon noodles
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons sriracha

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 325°. In a large oven safe pot, heat the vegetable oil. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and brown over moderately high heat, about 10 minutes. Transfer the ribs to a plate.
2. Add the soy sauce, mirin, onion, garlic, ginger, shiitake, brown sugar and half each of the daikon and the carrots to the pot. Return the ribs to the casserole and pour in the water. Bring to a boil. Cover and braise in the oven for about 2 1/2 hours, until the meat is very tender.
3. Transfer the ribs to a plate; cover and keep warm. Strain the braising liquid. Return the liquid to the casserole and boil over high heat, skimming any fat from the surface, until reduced to 4 cups, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the remaining daikon, carrots and mushrooms to the casserole along with the sesame oil mushrooms. Cover and simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender, 20 minutes. Debone and return the ribs to the casserole and simmer until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon juice and sriracha.
5. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and cook your dangmyeon noodles according to the package. Drain and transfer the noodles to shallow bowls. Nestle the meat on the noodles, ladle the vegetables and broth on top and serve.

1. Short ribs are great, very beefy. It is good to braise them, then grill or broil them too.
    Did the flavor overwhelm the other ingredients in the dish?

I loved the short ribs and I didn’t find that flavour of the beef overwhelmed the other ingredients, probably because the carrots, daikon and mushrooms weren’t cooked for a long time in the stock.

steph on March 29th, 2010 at 11:41 pm
  2. Looks excellent as usual! I love that you can “customize” the short ribs as well – star anise / flat cinnamon bark / clove, to lemongrass / ginger / garlic.

I love how you can customize everything when cooking. My mom and I were just having a conversation about it today: how everybody does their own thing even when they have a recipe sitting right in front of them.

steph on March 29th, 2010 at 11:42 pm
  3. Looks way better than mine :) I like the big chucks of daikon and all those beautiful flavours that you have in your broth!

Hahaha, no way, your noodles look fantastically spicy! I love the extra chili flakes on top.

steph on March 29th, 2010 at 11:45 pm
  4. This reminds me of a Vietnamese dish called Bo Kho, or something like that. With winter coming, perfect comfort food.

Mmm…bo kho is fantastic and so good on a cold day. The best part is eating it with Vietnamese bread!

steph on March 29th, 2010 at 11:46 pm
  5. Looks delicious! Thanks for having the noodle party. :) I fell in love with the chewy texture of dang myun. Thrilled to have six other ideas for cooking it!

Wow, six other ideas! I need to move to San Fran so I can eat your noodle creations everyday!

steph on March 29th, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Lol. I actually meant the six other recipes submitted for the party! But yes, lmk if you are ever in SF, we’ll do a noodle run. :)

Hahaha, I feel silly. I love SF, you’re so lucky to live there!

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:13 am
    noodlefever on April 4th, 2010 at 12:25 pm
  6. Hey there,

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your wonderful blog. I first found it on foodgawker and have been subscribing via rss ever since. Well, I just wanted to let you know that I finally got my hands on the Momofuku book yesterday. I couldn’t locate it in Sydney but eventually imported it from the states. I’m looking forward to trying some of the recipes and hope some of them turn out as good as yours.

Best weishes,

Matt

Hey Matt,
    I hope you enjoy cooking recipes from the book and I’m sure yours will turn out just great! There are some other Australian food bloggers that have cooked some recipes in the book as well, so I know you should be able to find the ingredients down there. Have fun and good luck!

steph on March 30th, 2010 at 5:24 pm
  7. This dish – which I assume is some sort of “galbi-jjim” – is such a comfort food… like beef stew! If you heat-reheat the dish enough, the sauce thickens and, oh, the yumminess!

Just a word of caution… Maybe you just prefer the taste of it, but I noticed that you used the japanese daikon, which tends to be skinner and longer than the round, stockier korean radish. (you can also see that korean radish tends to have greenish color towards the top). I once made a mistake of substituting the korean radish with japanese daikon in a soup (because I didn’t feel like going to the korean grocery) and the taste is quite different. Japanese daikon tends to be more watery, mushier… just different for my korean palette that is used to the crispy texture.

Hmm, I have seen all kinds of different daikon at the Korean grocery store, but I didn’t realize they had different textures, I just thought the were different sizes and shapes (silly me!). The daikon did turn out a bit mushy after a while, so I will keep your tip in mind the next time I make this.

steph on March 30th, 2010 at 5:26 pm