Kimchi Bacon Deviled Eggs

Last year I was obsessed with deviled eggs. I must’ve gone through cartons and cartons of eggs perfecting my recipe. The idea, the taste, the history, and the bad reputation all lured me in. No one really talks about deviled eggs; there’s no discussion on their finer points, their crazy addictive flavour, or their preparation ease. Deviled eggs have been called old-fashioned and kitsch, but put a platter out at a party and they disappear like crazy.

Deviled eggs are the perfect cold comfort food: cool, creamy and tangy. They also have the added bonus of being hand-held, which doubles their value in my books: I love utensiless food! With Easter just around the corner, I Momofukuized my deviled egg recipe with kimchi, bacon and mint.

These kimchi deviled eggs are so good that you won’t want to share, so if you’re planning on making them for a party, multiply the recipe. These eggs are extremely moreish: smoky bacon, spicy kimchi, and creamy egginess in one explosive bite. Excuse me, I need to go make some now.

Kimchi Bacon Deviled Eggs

2 eggs
1 tablespoon chopped napa cabbage kimchi
1 bacon rasher fried until crisp and chopped up
2 mint leaves, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon mayonnaise

1. Hard boil the eggs using your favourite method. I put eggs straight from the fridge into a pot with tap water and bring it to a gentle boil. I start timing when the water starts bubbling: hard boiled eggs usually take about 9-10 minutes.
2. When your eggs are done, take the pot, put it under the tap and turn on the cold water and let it run until the eggs are cool to the touch.
3. Gently peel your eggs and let them cool.
4. Slice eggs in half and pop the yolks into a bowl. Set the whites aside until you are ready to fill them.
5. Using a fork, break up the yolks until it is in tiny crumbs. Reserve a tiny amount of kimchi, bacon and mint for garnish, then add the rest to the bowl with the egg yolks. Add the mayonnaise and gently mix until the egg yolk mixture comes together. If it looks too dry, add a touch more mayonnaise.
6. Scoop the filling into the waiting egg white halves and garnish with the reserved bacon, kimchi and mint.
7. Enjoy!

1. Three of my favorite foods on planet earth: eggs, kimchi, and bacon. Together in harmony, love this!

They are pretty harmonious together!

steph on March 30th, 2010 at 5:12 pm
  2. Your post has inspired me to get myself together and make something festive for Easter Sunday, so thank you. I really enjoy your blog – the pictures, the recipes, you are SO creative!

Thanks! Hope you have a fantastic Easter!

steph on March 30th, 2010 at 5:12 pm
  3. These are so cute, thanks for posting a step-by-step pictorial ;)

4. What a creative twist on deviled eggs. Definitely making these for my next cocktail party!

Don’t forget, you can spice them up extra sriracha for that extra KT kick!

steph on March 30th, 2010 at 5:14 pm
  5. These are blowing my mind. I love the unusual idea of deviled eggs in small quantity, too. Makes it clear that you don’t have to throw a huge party to justify a little devilishness.

Hahaha. If being devilish means I get to eat deviled eggs, bring it on!

steph on March 30th, 2010 at 5:17 pm
  6. We love Deviled Eggs at our house but this is so unusual! I’ll bet it’s good!

Give it a try, they taste like deviled eggs with a twist; familiar, but different.

steph on March 30th, 2010 at 5:19 pm
  7. love these! I can eat a whole platter myself.

Hahaha, so can I, that’s why I only make a couple at at time!

steph on March 30th, 2010 at 5:27 pm
  8. “Momofukuized” you really need to TM that. haha! :)

I love this – bacon, kimchi and mint. You’ve inspired me to do a sambal, bacon and cilantro one for easter!

Mmm…that sounds like a fantastic combo. I love cilantro and sambal and bacon. Are you going to blog about it? I can’t wait to see them!

steph on March 30th, 2010 at 5:28 pm
  9. I like this devil egg. Just have to try and make some myself. And it worked pretty well with kimchi!

Kimchi and eggs go great together, don’t they?

steph on March 31st, 2010 at 10:48 am
  10. Steph, you did this for me, right!? I think I love you! :-P

Heehee, just for you Nina!

steph on March 31st, 2010 at 10:48 am
  11. Do you make your own kimchi? I would love to learn how to do this…!

Yup, I made my own kimchi. There’s a recipe for it in the Momofuku book. It’s so good that I’ve made it multiple times since!

steph on March 31st, 2010 at 10:51 am
  12. wow, these look great!

Thanks! Give them a try, they’re pretty simple and taste phenomenal!

steph on March 31st, 2010 at 10:51 am
  13. Oh this looks so beautiful! I love the combination. Bet the creaminess of egg yolk and the sour-saltiness of kimchi pairs beautifully.

You’re right! The kimchi and egg yolk pair perfectly. I think even non-kimchi lovers would like it; it’s a milder taste when its mixed in with the yolks and mayo.

steph on March 31st, 2010 at 10:52 am
  14. Even on a simple egg salad sandwich, as kids, we put kimchee on many things. Just adds a great spice and crunchiness to the sandwich.

We can only dream of what this tastes like….Hmmmmmm

I’ve just started to love kimchi, so now I’m discovering everything that it can go with it; it’s super versatile!

steph on April 2nd, 2010 at 11:30 am
  15. I just love devilled eggs and I’m proud to say it! I’ve got to get me some kimchi now and try this out! it looks fantastic!

Mmm…I hope you love them! Feel free to substitute green onions for the mint and add more or less kimchi based on your preference. Let me know how they turn out!

steph on April 2nd, 2010 at 11:31 am
  16. Oh my! I’ve been experimenting with korean food all week since I made my first batch of kimchi some weeks ago (and it’s finally reaching the perfekt sourness) and I’ve been thinking hard of a way to skip the ordinary swedish smorgåsbord-kinda easter meny in favour for something kimchi-based. And boy, is this it? I’ll make these tomorrow. And thanks to the addition of bacon, my husband is just as excited as I am.

Great easter wishes from Sweden!

Easter wishes back to you in Sweden! I hope you have a lovely Easter and that the kimchi bacon deviled eggs turn out wonderfully!

steph on April 2nd, 2010 at 11:34 am
  17. Long time reader, first time commenter. This post totally inspired me and I made a dozen of these for an Easter party. They were fantastic! Everyone loved them and I’m definitely going to make them again (and possibly again). I added a li’l salt and a li’l gojuchang to the mixture (which, if you have gojuchang lying around, adds another nice level of hotness).

Anyway, this a great blog and keep it up!

Awesome, I’m so glad the eggs turned out! I’ll have to try with gojuchang. I love how versatile deviled eggs are.

steph on April 6th, 2010 at 10:18 am
  18. Hi, I just made deviled eggs yesterday and I wish I would have read your blog first! Curious how you thought of the mint and how do you think that adds to this recipe?

The mint just adds a nice mintiness, but you can definitely substitute green onion or your other favourite herb.

steph on April 7th, 2010 at 12:41 pm
  19. What a great idea! I too am fascinated by deviled eggs, and you’re right–nobody talks about them, but everybody devours them! I am always experimenting with different combinations mixed in with the yolk and I love your idea of including kimchi in the mix. Thanks for the inspiration!

20. i LOVE deviled eggs! these look amazing! I am a sucker for bacon and this looks like a great twist on the classic!

21. Wow, this sounds awesome.

22. I’ve made dozens of deviled eggs for family and other get togethers, and have used every ingredient that has been mentioned. No one else will attempt to make them because I don’t have a recipe!
    Two ingredients I use that I wouldn’t do without are yellow mustard and grated horse radish. Try it…you’ll like it!