Roasted Sweet Summer Corn

roasted sweet frozen corn

Corn, it’s one the most delicious vegetables! But wait, corn’s not a vegetable? I learned that the hard way after playing twenty questions with Mike while on a road trip. I think I knew it was a grain, but for some reason, for the purpose of twenty questions it was more of a vegetable. It was the first time I “won,” at twenty questions, but Mike claims that it doesn’t count because I “lied.”

green onions, corn, ramen broth, roasted onions, bacon

Lying aside, corn really is delicious. The crunch, the sweet milkiness, and the way the kernels burst into juicy little flavour bombs on your tongue can’t be beat. Nothing is better than fresh corn steamed with butter. Oh, except fresh corn roasted on the cob and topped with green onion oil. Oh, and maybe Chang’s roasted sweet summer corn with miso butter, bacon & roasted onions.

miso butter, green onions, ramen broth, corn, roasted onions, bacon

The recipe is called “roasted sweet summer corn,” but it’s not summer. Imported corn from the grocery store never tastes the same as just picked off the cob. I wish I could just go to the multitudes of corn fields nearby, but as balmy as it is in Vancouver right now, there isn’t any local corn.

bacon, onions, and corn in pan

No local corn and sad supermarket corn meant that I used my old standby, frozen. I really like frozen corn. It’s convenient, it tastes good, and I actually buy into that whole frozen vegetables are flash frozen at the peak of their goodness thing.

miso butter glazed corn

Obtaining fresh corn aside, this is another one of Chang’s easier (read, quick) recipes. There’s little room for error, after all it has corn, miso butter, bacon and onions. All delicious on their own, all taste-explosiony together. The sweetness of the corn and onions were offset by the saltiness of the bacon and miso butter. I really do love the combination of sweet and salty flavours.

I had this corn last summer at Noodle Bar, and it flavour wise, it was just as good, but something was missing. Looking back at my photos of the Noodle Bar corn I noticed that there were new roasted potatoes tossed in. I think this recipe would really benefit from potatoes. Also, it was a tad on the salty side, so if I were to make it again I’d cut down on the amount of miso butter. I guess there can be too much of a good thing!

Roasted Sweet Summer Corn from Momofuku Noodle Bar in 2009

But there can never be enough corn. Or bacon.

more corn please!

1. Looks like it’s the perfect side dish for basically everything! You can’t go wrong when bacon is involve.

Shao,
    When I was small my mom would only let me eat a slice of bacon at a time. Now I just put bacon in everything. I don’t care if people say bacon is passé. I love it!

steph on February 5th, 2010 at 1:58 pm
  2. In the summer I love to grill corn. I rub some butter on and sprinkle it with cumin and chili powder. Them it goes on the grill. delicious!

Ed,
    Grilled corn is soooooooo good!

steph on February 5th, 2010 at 1:58 pm
  3. Just like David (can I call him Dave?), I have some Ginger Scallion sauce in my fridge along with some leftover brussel sprouts sauce (that stuff keeps forever!). I’m gonna have to add Miso Butter to that list for sure. Along with a torchon of… just kidding.

Dan,
    Don’t talk about the dreaded torchon!

steph on February 5th, 2010 at 1:59 pm
  4. Yay you made it! I remember I used way less miso butter than the recipe. You’ll love it in summer with fresh corn. That’s a good idea about the potatoes too. I was thinking of tossing in grilled prawns (sorry, shrimp) for a more substantial meal.

Julia,
    Yes, less miso butter would probably be a good thing and I can’t wait for summer. I bet prawns or shrimp would be super tasty with miso butter!

steph on February 5th, 2010 at 9:41 pm
  5. this sounds so simple to make! i can’t wait to get my own momofuku cook book and try all these recipes out.

6. i love corn aswell, but unfortunately in germany you hardly find it fresh, only occasionally from the farmer’s market in the summer. i’ve never seen it frozen. you only get it in jars, or canned. which tastes okay, but it is not the same as fresh corn.

Fenke,
    I happen to like canned corn too! I guess I just love all corn…

steph on February 6th, 2010 at 11:47 am
  7. this looks very simple but awesome delicious. would love to make it! no idea where to get miso butter from though:(

Amy,
    Miso butter’s simple, just mix together some room temperature butter and shiro (white) miso. Or you can read about how I made it for the Pan Roasted Asparagus!

steph on February 6th, 2010 at 11:49 am
  8. That looks fantastic! I think I’d probably double or triple the bacon though. :) I’m diggin’ the rectangular serving dish too. That’s neato.

Jimmy,
    Extra bacon is always a good thing!

steph on February 8th, 2010 at 6:00 pm
  9. Found your recipe reading the foodisat blog yum for sure. Thanks Steph

10. Excellent mouth watering and a very healthy recipe too

Thanks! The flavour combination is really good.

steph on May 7th, 2010 at 10:52 am
    Mahendra Chauhan on May 7, 2010 at 4:33 am
  11. You very welcome and I am only an experimenter and does work wonders.Take care

Mahendra Chauhan on May 7, 2010 at 11:06 am
  12. I made this tonight using some local sweet corn that was picked earlier today. I didn’t add potatoes like you did, but rather sauteed up some jumbo shrimp as per recommended in the recipe to throw on top. Also, I haven’t made ramen broth (yet) so I subbed in some chicken broth, and it tasted fine. The balance of flavors were out of this world!

I’m going to be checking back to your blog as I play with some of the recipes in the book. Congratulations on finishing!

13. Mike is wrong. Corn is a vegetable.

Gloat all you want.