Brussels Sprouts with Kimchi Puree & Bacon

roasted brussels sprouts with kimchi puree and bacon

I have never eaten brussels sprouts. Those achingly cute, tightly furled, miniature cabbages have never passed my lips. I have no idea why but I am now regretting it. Why did I spend so many years of my life without brussels sprouts with kimchi puree and bacon?

raw brussels sprouts

As a first time brussels sprout eater, I admit, I was nervous. I’ve heard so many bad things about sprouts, but they were good! They were deep, nutty, and had sweet caramelized crispy edges with a touch of smokiness from the bacon. The sprouts were almost melty on the insides which is how I felt when when I ate them.

The sprouts are prepared simply enough. Bacon is crisped and set aside. The bacon fat is used to brown halved sprouts before roasting in the oven. To finish, everything is tossed in butter then set atop a kimchi puree.

pureeing kimchi

Kimchi puree is genius. It’s pungent funkiness (a good thing!) is toned down by pureeing which makes it a bit milder and much more easy to shovel into your mouth. No chewing, just pure kimchi flavour!

pureed kimchi

The puree went great with the roasted sprouts. It was so good that Mike and I decided that it would be one of our staple garnishes for other vegetables.

No one is more surprised than I am about how I am a sprouts lover, but something about that nutty, slightly bitter taste was really addictive. I couldn’t stop saying, “These are so good!” I wonder if I’d like them cooked other ways as well. I guess I’ll have to wait until the brussels sprouts with fish sauce vinaigrette to find out.

not-so-pretty but very delectable brussels sprouts

Chang thinks Brussels sprouts are ugly and that’s why he throws a big pile of juilenne carrots on top. I don’t know how ugly his sprouts are, but I have to agree, cooking did something not-so-nice to my achingly cute sprouts. Oh well, good thing my tummy doesn’t have eyes.

1. Mmmm…brussels sprouts are my favorite. I need to try this one.

KT,
    I think brussels sprouts are my new favourite!

steph on February 6th, 2010 at 5:27 pm
  2. Yumlooks great thanks for the bacon recipe, never sen one like this before.

Brad,
    No problem, try it, it’s super yummy!

steph on February 6th, 2010 at 5:27 pm
  3. I think you should give David Chang some sort of credit for this recipe as it is pretty similar to something he makes.

4. Ok my bad. Didn’t realize your actual blog was titled Momofuku for 2. Are you a hardcore fan?

Liz,
    Yes, I am a hardcore fan. I love his food!

steph on February 6th, 2010 at 11:32 pm
  5. looks fab, steph! sometimes i wish the sprouts were a little crispier on the outside. Hmmm, maybe roasting them and then deep frying them in bacon fat…. that’s evil!

Dan,
    Mmm…deep fried brussels sprouts…would it work? You should start a site: will it deep fry?

I would eagerly follow that site.

Max Vanderheyden on March 8th, 2010 at 7:17 am
    steph on February 6th, 2010 at 11:40 pm
  6. I do love brussel sprouts as they remind me of tiny cabbages. I love them with bacon for sure! With kimchi – eh – not so sure but hey, if David Chang says so – I’ll give it a shot!

Trissa,
    The kimchi puree goes really great with the flavour of the sprouts!

steph on February 7th, 2010 at 1:21 pm
  7. Love of Brussels Sprouts, check. Love of Bacon, check. Love of Kimchi, check. What’s not to love about your post?!

Josie,
    Thanks! I have a new-found love of brussels sprouts after this recipe.

steph on February 7th, 2010 at 1:23 pm
  8. Wow, this is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks @beefrecipes! It wasn’t really that beautiful, but it sure tasted good.

steph on February 7th, 2010 at 6:20 pm
  9. I think that I’ll need to try this, especially the kimchi puree.

If you’re looking for the recipe for Momofuku’s fried brussel sprouts, Gourmet posted the recipe in their Oct 2007 issue. Here’s a link to the epicurious recipe.

You’re welcome.

Talis,
    Thanks for the link, these sprouts are in the book too, so I’ll be making them soon!

steph on February 10th, 2010 at 3:12 pm
  10. I am a 70-year-old [former] brussels sprouts HATER. I gave this one a try because I love kim chi. Fantastic and delicious. So old dogs really can learn new tricks. I have used every one of your recipes and served them to family and friends. Yummy, every one! Thank you very much.

Sandra,
    Thanks! I’m so glad you like brussels sprouts now. I never tried them before this and after my first bite, I was definitely a convert!

steph on March 8th, 2010 at 1:40 pm
    Sandra L Donovan on March 8, 2010 at 9:21 am
  11. Fired this up today, the flavors definitely worked, the sprouts managed to stand up to the kimchi and the bacon was a great accompaniment. Not my favorite momofuku recipe, but one I’ll likely make again.

I love roasted sprouts; roasting them brings out their sweetness which goes great with smoky bacon. It’s a recipe that I’ll make again too, but I’d be hard pressed to choose a favourite from the book!

steph on April 10th, 2010 at 10:48 am